[comp.sys.mac.hardware] minimal mac to realistically use macX???

hartzell@CAMIS.Stanford.EDU (George Hartzell) (05/17/91)

We need to equip our labs with several minimal macs.  These will be
used for reading mail on a unix system (MacIP), running Word and some
other basic mac applications, and doing some hypercard interfaces to
sybase databases on our unix machine.  We would like make sure that
if/when we want to use X window system based programs that these
machines will handle it.

I've been told that running macX through an appletalk gateway isn't
really usable, so they need to be ethernetable.  Any comment?

What kind of horsepower is minimally acceptable?  Have you used macX on
a(n):
    - classic
    - LC
    - SE/30?
    - Si

Is 2 meg memory enough?

Any comments will be appreciated

thanks.
g.
--
George Hartzell                        voice: (415) 725-7421
Stanford Yeast Genome Project          fax:   (415)-723-7016

sshws@convx1.lerc.nasa.gov (Herb Schilling) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May17.023402.16678@medisg.Stanford.EDU> hartzell@CAMIS.Stanford.EDU (George Hartzell) writes:

>We need to equip our labs with several minimal macs.  These will be
>used for reading mail on a unix system (MacIP), running Word and some
>other basic mac applications, and doing some hypercard interfaces to
>sybase databases on our unix machine.  We would like make sure that
>if/when we want to use X window system based programs that these
>machines will handle it.
>
>I've been told that running macX through an appletalk gateway isn't
>really usable, so they need to be ethernetable.  Any comment?
>
>What kind of horsepower is minimally acceptable?  Have you used macX on
>a(n):
>    - classic
>    - LC
>    - SE/30?
>    - Si
>
>Is 2 meg memory enough?
>
>Any comments will be appreciated

I am also currently ordering a Mac and would like to run MacX on it.
So I would be interested in reading any info you receive on what
hardware is required for good performance of MacX.

I have have been asking around locally and electronically for info
about MacX
for a week or so. The only info I have found so far is that in general
people like MacX. The only negative comment I received was from a
fellow who said it was really slow but he was using Mac II's
with 2Mb memory, standard video card and Localtalk connections. He
admitted that with better hardware the performance would be better.
The other responses I received did not indicate the hardware they were
using MacX on .

Some other issues I have been looking at are :

     1. Can you get a 3-button mouse that will work with X windows
              and MacOS ?

     2. What is the minimal video subsystem required ?

--
Herb Schilling , NASA Lewis Research Center , 21000 Brookpark Road,
Cleveland, Ohio 44135 . (216) 433-5058       sshws@convx1.lerc.nasa.gov