[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Deskwriter/Deskjet Ink Refills

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/18/91)

I just found an article from the Berkeley MUG Winter/Spring 1991 issue
called "Refills for your Deskwriter" (page 200).  It states the
following --

(a) Deskwriter cartridges last for 1500 pages (true?)
(b) A new company is marketing an ink refill kit for $30.  The kit
    has enough ink to refill 5-6 cartridges, i.e. a cost of $5 - $6
    per refill.  The BMUG articles reads,

	"...After doing some investigation I would up speaking with
	a chemist at the Parker pen company.  He told me that he had
	received a number of calls from people wanting to do the same
	thing, but so far they had not yet isolated an ink that would work in
	the DeskWriter.  One thing he did caution me on was that the process
	involved in printing on a DeskWriter causes the ink to be exposed to
	high temperatures.  This meant that most inks were excluded due to
	their flammability.  The chemist then went on to tell me that
	there was a company in Cupertino named 'Time to Market
	Associates' that was ready to market a refill kit."

	"The refilling process is simple.  Open the bottle of ink
	and stick the point of the injector into the bottle.  The
	injector is basically a syringe; to fill it you just pull
	back on the plunger and take in about 9 cc's of ink.  Next,
	push the tip of the injector into the small hole in the top of
	your ink cartiridge (this can be done with the cartridge in or out of
	your printer), and slowly press the plunger down.  Average time to
	refill is about 30 to 45 seconds, and this is SO EASY to do!

	If you are refilling extra cartridges for future use, be sure
	to place some scotch tape over the cartridge tip to prevent
	the ink from drying out.

$29.95 (includes ink bottle, injector body & tip, drip cloth)
Time to Market Associates
20302 Pacifica Drive
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-446-4458

Does anyone else has information on Deskwriter/Deskjet refills?

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL
--

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.185806.26658@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
>I just found an article from the Berkeley MUG Winter/Spring 1991 issue
>called "Refills for your Deskwriter" (page 200).  It states the
>following --
>
>(a) Deskwriter cartridges last for 1500 pages (true?)

The manual says, I believe, 500 pages, although I've got one cartridge that
I'm sure has passes 500 pages a long time ago.

[Quote from a chemist saying that most ink will burn when used in
the Deskwriter/DeskJet]

Oh come on!  Looking at the article, it looks likes it's an advertisement
for that particular refill kit, and not a totally unbiased report on
refilling your DeskWriter, although I haven't seen the original article.
There are about a half-dozen different refill kits availabe for the
DeskJet, with the largest one being JetFill which runs an ad in MacUser.
But I've also heard of people using standard good bottled ink from the
stationary store with no problems.

I have certainly never seen or heard a printer going down in flames simply
because he didn't use the ink from this particular refill company.

--
Lance M Orner           | To get a hold of me --
  Computer Engineering  |   --from Internet:        lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu