[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Need info/feedback/opinions on Chip Merchant

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) (05/17/91)

Does anyone have any info about Chip Merchant?  Their SIMM prices seem a bit
cheaper than Tech Works, from whom I've bought before.  Chip Merchant says
something about "Lifetime manufacturers' warranty on chips".  Is this different
from Tech Works and other vendors?  Does this mean I need to track down Siemens
or whomever if something goes wrong?

Thanks very much for any info!

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "Good tea.        =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  Nice house."     =
=                                * mine                *  -Worf            =

figmo@eris.berkeley.edu (Lynn Gold) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.133626.1@gsbacd.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) writes:
>Does anyone have any info about Chip Merchant?  Their SIMM prices seem a bit
>cheaper than Tech Works, from whom I've bought before.  Chip Merchant says
>something about "Lifetime manufacturers' warranty on chips".  Is this
>different from Tech Works and other vendors?  Does this mean I need
>to track down Siemens or whomever if something goes wrong?

I don't know about anything going wrong, but I just bought four 4x8
SIMMs from them for my SE/30 and have no complaints.  The Mac wizard
where I work has been dealing with them for years and recommended them
to me highly even when their chip prices weren't the best.

--Lynn
--
ARPA: figmo@eris.Berkeley.Edu      UUCP: ...!eris.Berkeley.Edu!figmo

QUOTE OF THE MONTH:  (asked to RMS at a free software conference at NASA)
"Have you ever used any free software word processors?

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Maximum Slackness ) (05/17/91)

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) writes:

>Does anyone have any info about Chip Merchant?

I've purchased >$5,000 of chips from them and never had a problem.

The only drawback to purchasing through them is that they don't take
credit cards (and they're slow at processing PO's relative to COD's).
--

	No matter what you do, somebody always knew that you would...

sdd@oceania.UUCP (Steve Dakin) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.133626.1@gsbacd.uchicago.edu>
gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) writes:
> Does anyone have any info about Chip Merchant?  Their SIMM prices seem a bit
> cheaper than Tech Works, from whom I've bought before.  Chip Merchant says
> something about "Lifetime manufacturers' warranty on chips".  Is this
> different
> from Tech Works and other vendors?  Does this mean I need to track down
> Siemens
> or whomever if something goes wrong?

I bought four 1M SIMMS from Chip Merchant for my Plus last year and after
putting 'em in and turing it on, I got a sad mac.  My friend brought over some
1M SIMMS and we were able to check each SIMM that I bought from Chip Merchant.
One was bad, so I took it back (they're only about 10 miles from where I live)
and they gave me a new one no questions asked.  For all I know, I could have
been the one to fry it when I was putting it in.  So my experience with them
has been positive.

--
+-----------------------------------+
|            Steve Dakin            |

--
+-----------------------------------+
|            Steve Dakin            |

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/18/91)

In most cases it's important to do mail-order business with a credit
card to protect yourself.  However, the Chip Merchant has been around
for a long time, presumably because they have a reputation for
conducting their business well.  I bought some simms at a great price
(for the time), and they came well-packaged and about as fast as
possible (considering I had to wait for them to cash my check).

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL