[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Classic SIMM question

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (05/17/91)

The recent question about SIMM speed mixing brought up a question.

A friend of mine is removing the 1 Mb SIMMs from his Mac IIsi (80ns, I
believe) and I was going to acquire two of them for my Classic to take
it to the 4 Mb level.

Is this possible?

The Classic has (I think) 150 ns SIMMs, and only one "bank" to put them in.

I hope I can, but can someone confirm this?

Thanks!
Dennis Lippert- macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu

txhou@mcs.drexel.edu (Xinjun Hou) (05/17/91)

In article <129335@unix.cis.pitt.edu> macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) writes:
>The recent question about SIMM speed mixing brought up a question.
>
>A friend of mine is removing the 1 Mb SIMMs from his Mac IIsi (80ns, I
>believe) and I was going to acquire two of them for my Classic to take
>it to the 4 Mb level.
>
>Is this possible?
>
>The Classic has (I think) 150 ns SIMMs, and only one "bank" to put them in.
>
>I hope I can, but can someone confirm this?
>
>Thanks!
>Dennis Lippert- macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu

Yes, it is possible. (I just installed 2MB to my Classic)

1) If you have two MB now, you should be able to add 2 1MB
SIMMs without any problem. If you memory board is from third party
other than Apple, you should check the memory board manual.

2) If you have only one MB in your Classic, you have to buy a memory
board before you can install the extra SIMMs, there is no any extra
slot SIMM bank in Classic, only a memory board slot.

Xj
txhou@king.mcs.drexel.edu

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/18/91)

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) writes:

DH> A friend of mine is removing the 1 Mb SIMMs from his Mac IIsi (80ns, I
DH> believe) and I was going to acquire two of them for my Classic to take
DH> it to the 4 Mb level.
DH>
DH> Is this possible?

      Yes.  They're faster than you need, but they'll still work fine.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)