[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Jasmine: run screaming ...not

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff) (05/18/91)

mdm@icefloe.dartmouth.edu (Michael McDaniel) writes:

>problems. So I did the natural thing and reformatted with Silverlining.  Enter
>the release of system 7.0 which is purported to be mostly compatible with the
>latest DriveWare.  Of course, DriveWare won't format the Jasmine drive which
>has been reformatted with another driver.  Jasmine won't give out the software
>to format their drives for real, either, claiming it is proprietary
>information.  Bunk.  I reformatted my drive because of a failing on their part
>and now they tell me I have to send it back to the factory.

I've had (almost) no problems reformatting my Jasmine (BackPack 40)
with Driveware after formatting with SilverLining.  A couple of points
though:

1.  My copy of Driveware 1.77 always crashed when trying to do a low level
format.  So I reformatted with 1.29 and updated the driver with 1.77.
This worked fine.  I suspect I have a damaged version of 1.77, but I'm
not sure.

2.  It might take a long time to reformat.  The first time I tried
this, Driveware estimated approximately 3 minutes, but it turned into
many (like 7 or more) hours.  Ever since then I've done it in the
morning when I leave and when I return it's finished.

>Don't fall for it!  Buy a drive with decent support and features!

But that takes all the fun out of it!   :)
--
jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
F7 d+ m++ b- r-- s++ e- h c