[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Sigma's Double Up board

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (05/21/91)

On 20-May-91 in Anybody tried Sigma's Doubl..
user WILLETT@prism.gatech.EDU writes:
>i came across an add for a NuBus board from Sigma called the Double Up.  its
>supposed to compress your files upon saving and decompress them upon openning.
>it looks like a hardware accelerator for Disk Doubler.  For a mere $167 it
>claims it will effectively double the capacity of your hard drive.
>
>Has anybody used this board?  Does it work well, and does it work with
>System 7.0?

I have a DoubleUp board from Sigma.  It works very well and very quickly.
I now keep all of my infrequently used software compressed and pay very
little penalty (in terms of time) when I do want to use it.  It works as
another method of compression under DiskDoubler (you have a choice of
different compression methods and "DoubleUp board" is one of the ones listed).

All in all, a very smooth implementation.

On the other hand, the version of DiskDoubler that was/is(?) shipping with
the DoubleUp board is 3.2.  This is only partially compatible with system 7.0.
What I mean by partially is that the INIT portion (the part that tosses a
"DD" menu onto your menu bar) does not work.  Reportedly everything else does.
I have not tried it with 7.0 yet, and am waiting until the hub-bub dies down
a little before making the move from 6.07->7.0.  There is a new version of
DiskDoubler (3.7) that has a shipping date of June 1st (I think) which will
be completely compatible with System 7.0.  Does anyone know if people that
got DiskDoubler as a part of their purchase of the DoubleUp board are
eligible for the free upgrade to 3.7 as are regular purchasers of DiskDoubler?
(the upgrade is supposedly free for those that bought the software after a
certain date in April ... I forget when exactly).

--Brad