[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 'Dirty' ROMs - A Partial Answer

cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs421317) (05/21/91)

I received my PUK in the mail today, and because of a question I had, I
initiated the 90 day support call. They were very helpful and answered my
problem.

I asked them what I should do to use more than ~13 meg of RAM and their answer
was, 'Have you heard of a company called Connectix...?' They said that was
the answer.

Does anyone know if this IS the answer? Have you heard any more detail about
MODE32? How completely functional is it? Do I just drop it in the Extensions
and never worry about this problem again?

I guess if it works, I shouldn't complain. But a hardware solution would feel
more comfortable.

- Gary Goldberg
Census Bureau/DIR/SIRS
AOL:OgGreeb
cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu - but not for long :(

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May21.032658.5617@umbc3.umbc.edu> cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs421317) writes:

>I asked them what I should do to use more than ~13 meg of RAM and their answer
>was, 'Have you heard of a company called Connectix...?' They said that was
>the answer.

>Does anyone know if this IS the answer? Have you heard any more detail about
>MODE32? How completely functional is it? Do I just drop it in the Extensions
>and never worry about this problem again?

>I guess if it works, I shouldn't complain. But a hardware solution would feel
>more comfortable.

The way I see it is that Connectix MODE32 is an unsatisfactory answer
from Apple. Specifically, I find it unacceptable that I would have to
pay $150+ to some company to fix an Apple bug, especially after paying
$100 for system 7. If MODE32 is a fix, then it indicates that there is
a bug in Apple's system software -- either that or Apple is not
interested in supporting its full product line.

No matter how you squint and try to interpret Apple's policies in the
32-bit fiasco, it seems they always come out looking like schmucks who
don't give a damn about their legal obligations and/or their installed
customer base.
--

Stephen Kurtzman             | "love is a minor chord; love is a mental ward;"
kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu      |  love is a drawn sword; love is its own reward."