[comp.sys.mac.hardware] TI Microlaser experiences ?

sharp@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (05/21/91)

    I am debating about buying either a TI-Microlaser (probably the
17, possibly the 35) or the Apple Personal Laswerwriter LS. Since I
get student rates, the TI is actually more expensive, but it does have
postscript.

    My questions about the TI are as follows. First, does it do
background printing ? How is the speed, it says 6ppm, but does it
really put out that fast (the LS beats an old Laser Plus by a large
amount) ? Does it work with the new TrueType font technology ? How
realiable is it ? Are 3rd party ink cartridges available ? Is the 35
that much better than the 17 (i.e worth around $1000 more) ? How
reliable is it ?

    If you had to make a similar choice, what would you choose ? (The
TI will cost about $5-700 more than the LS, less than Freedom of The
Press). It would be run from a IIci 80/8.

	thanks for your time
	  maurice

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      GEnie M.SHARP5

--

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.204253.1874@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> sharp@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:

>    I am debating about buying either a TI-Microlaser (probably the
>17, possibly the 35) or the Apple Personal Laswerwriter LS. Since I
>get student rates, the TI is actually more expensive, but it does have
>postscript.
>
>    My questions about the TI are as follows. First, does it do
>background printing ? How is the speed, it says 6ppm, but does it
>really put out that fast (the LS beats an old Laser Plus by a large
>amount) ? Does it work with the new TrueType font technology ? How
>realiable is it ? Are 3rd party ink cartridges available ? Is the 35
>that much better than the 17 (i.e worth around $1000 more) ? How
>reliable is it ?
>
>    If you had to make a similar choice, what would you choose ? (The
>TI will cost about $5-700 more than the LS, less than Freedom of The
>Press). It would be run from a IIci 80/8.

I got a microlaser PS-17 about two months ago and have since done a
close comparison between it and the Personal LaserWriter NT, which I
believe has the same engine as the LS.

First of all, having Postscript is a BIG advantage.  It allows putting the
printer onto LocalTalk and allows background printing (the TI works just
like any Apple Postscript printer).  The TI is definitely faster than
the LaserWriter, both in processing speed and printing speed.  When
printing duplicate pages, I was getting one page per 9.5 seconds!  Other
comparisons showed it to be faster in processing complicated graphics,
although with the LS it would be different since it doesn't use
Postscript.

I've been using TrueType since I've had the printer with no problems.
As far as reliability, I haven't had any problems and it's fairly easy
to set up and work on (somewhat better than the LaserWriters, I
believe).  Toner refills are currently only made by TI, but are widely
available for about $80.

I was able to notice a slight difference in the print quality, however.
The print on the TI is a bit fuzzy (when looking real close) while the
LaserWriter is somewhat sharper.  This might have had something to do
with the paper (I'm using cheap copier papaer from the Price Club).
Also the TI is MUCH noiser that the LaserWriter - one of the reasons I
was thinking of changing over.  However, the faster speed and smaller
footprint convinced me to keep it.

If you plan on using the extra fonts of the PS-35, I'd go for it.  It's
possible to upgrade later, but it's much more expensive that way.  I've
been downloading the fonts I need, although the available memory only
allows a few fonts at a time (for about $85, you can get a 1 meg upgrade
that will allow MANY more fonts and faster operation).  You can use any
of the normal laser printing tools from Apple or others since the printer
uses standard Postscript and looks just like a LaserWriter to the Mac.

I ordered mine from MacCenter (800-950-3726) in Texas - they currently
have the best prices at $1299 for the 17 and $1599 for the 35.  If you
do order it, don't forget you need to supply the LocalTalk cabling.

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/22/91)

sharp@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:

MS>     I am debating about buying either a TI-Microlaser (probably the
MS> 17, possibly the 35) or the Apple Personal Laserwriter LS. Since I
MS> get student rates, the TI is actually more expensive, but it does have
MS> postscript.
MS>
MS>     My questions about the TI are as follows. First, does it do
MS> background printing?

      Yes.  All PostScript basd laser printers use the Apple LaserWriter print
driver which supports background printing.

MS> How is the speed, it says 6ppm, but does it
MS> really put out that fast (the LS beats an old Laser Plus by a large
MS> amount)?

    Well, it depends on the complexity of the graphics you are printing.  For
normal text pages, it's about 6ppm.  If you give it something truely complex
(like printing fancy PageMaker output) it'll take correspondingly longer.

    I expect it will always be as fast or faster than a LW LS for comparable
output.

MS> Does it work with the new TrueType font technology?

   All PostScript lasers can use TrueType if the mac is either running System 7,
or using the new LaserWriter driver released in March.

MS> How reliable is it ?

   A friend of mine has had the PS35 for a few months with no problems.  TI has a
fairly good reputation for manufacturing quality products.

MS> Are 3rd party ink cartridges available?

    Not to my knowledge, but TI toner cartridges only cost US$41, so it's not a problem.  (Supposedly good for thousands of pages.)

MS> Is the 35
MS> that much better than the 17 (i.e worth around $1000 more) ? How
MS> reliable is it ?

    It's identical, except that it has 35 fonts in ROM instead of 17.

    I wouldn't pay a thousand dollars for the extra fonts, but you don't really
have to go that course.

    The TI PS17 is advertised in the June MacUser at about US$1300
(available locally in Washington, DC for $1200).  The PS35 is advertised
at $1599 (available locally for $1525).  I gather from your price references
that you are contemplating paying thousands of dollars for either TI printer.
Don't do it.  Order it from the States and save a bundle (even after paying
exchange and 7% GST;  there used to be a 10% duty on electronics coming into
Canada, but friends have told me that it was removed under the FTA;  call
Canada Customs to check).

MS>     If you had to make a similar choice, what would you choose ? (The
MS> TI will cost about $5-700 more than the LS, less than Freedom of The
MS> Press). It would be run from a IIci 80/8.

    I'd get the PS17 for US$1200.  The LaserWriter LS sells for about US$900-950,
and I think PostScript is worth paying $300 for.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)