[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II Power Supply

peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) (11/23/89)

*sigh* everything was just fine, and all of a sudden the system shut down.
It will not power up now. Either whatever it is that tells the power supply
to turn on when I hit the power-on-key died, or the power supply itself is
bad. Which of the 10 or so connections on the power connector can I check
to see if it is the power supply or not?

CBM wants $270 plus $50 installation for a new supply, if that's what it is.
That's ridiculous; do I have any other alternatives?
--
Steve Peltz (almost) CFI-G
"Monticello traffic, Glider 949 landing 18, full stop"

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Bruce Green) (11/24/89)

In article <1989Nov23.052122.27036@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) writes:
>*sigh* everything was just fine, and all of a sudden the system shut down.
>It will not power up now. Either whatever it is that tells the power supply
>to turn on when I hit the power-on-key died, or the power supply itself is
>bad. Which of the 10 or so connections on the power connector can I check
>to see if it is the power supply or not?

There is a good possibility that it is the battery.  Usually, if you wait for
a day or two and try it again...it may come on.  You can also get 6 volts of
regular batteries and attach them to the old betteries to see.  I dont remember
*exactly* which of the four leads to use so unless you know what you are doing,
dont do it.  Those batteries have been known to burst if they are messed with
in the wrong way.  As memeory serves me.. this is how things are done.
		  ____.
		__|__ | __|__ <- here
		|   | | |   |
		| 1 | | | 2 |	MacII bateries.
		|   | | |   |
		----- | --|--
      and here -> |   `---'

PLEASE double check this before you do anything.  You need to hook up the
batteries to the two leads marked "here".  I know a guy that has a small
batery holder he got from radio shack just sitting in his Mac.  You can buy
an aligator clip and use it to attach to the batteries for easy de-installation.

					good luck,
					-S
--
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) (11/25/89)

Thanks - I had several other people tell me that it was probably the battery.
However, would that have caused it to power down while it was running? I
actually did think about the possibility of it being the battery, but figured
"nawwwww, they wouldn't be THAT stupid, the battery dying would only kill the
clock and parameter RAM, and that only when the Mac was unplugged..."

Gawd, what a stupid design! I will check to see if it is the battery, and then
investigate possibilities of repairing it. Thanks to all!
--
Steve Peltz (almost) CFI-G
"Monticello traffic, Glider 949 landing 18, full stop"

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (05/16/91)

One of our original Mac II's power supplies has begun to sound like a jet
airplane taking off.  The fan makes a tremendous amount of noise and has began
to bother neighboring offices.

Does anyone know where Mac II power supplies can be purchased cheap?

Thanks!

--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)           Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                Office of Management & Budget

drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) (05/22/91)

In article <3198@sparko.gwu.edu> waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.)
writes:
> Does anyone know where Mac II power supplies can be purchased cheap?

Try Micromat. (800) 829-6227

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard