[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple HD SC Setup 7.0 won't recognize MY third-party drive either!

ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) (05/20/91)

I have a Rodime 105Mb drive that is currently formatted with the
Rodime software.  (My cpu is a Mac IIci.)  My problem is that Apple HD
SC Setup from the Disk Tools floppy in System 7.0 won't recognize my
hard drive!  More specifically, when it starts up it searches for SCSI
devices and finds none.  I had heard that Apple HD SC Setup 7.0 would
recognize third-party drives.

I am not sure whether recognition of the HD is a function of:
    * hardware type (drive brand)
    * SCSI cabling and termination
    * software used to format drive
    * drivers installed

Even if you can't solve my problem, I'd be interested in knowing more
about the second, more general question.  Any help at all would be
greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!

--Tom

P.S. Yes, I am booting from the Disk Tools floppy.

--
  Tom Ngo
  ngo@harvard.harvard.edu

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (05/21/91)

ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) writes:
>I am not sure whether recognition of the HD is a function of:
>    * hardware type (drive brand)
>    * SCSI cabling and termination
>    * software used to format drive
>    * drivers installed

Use a disk editor (say Norton) to search the HD Setup program file for
the string "eagate".
You'll probably find a table of "known" drives with manufacturer and
models.

I patched my (german) HD Setup program by just modifying this table. It
formats, checks and patitions my Seagate ST1096n and Syquest SQ555 fine
now.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Hi! (Zaphod Beeblebrox)

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (05/23/91)

In article <NGO.91May19220329@tammy.harvard.edu>, ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) writes:

> I have a Rodime 105Mb drive that is currently formatted with the
> Rodime software.  (My cpu is a Mac IIci.)  My problem is that Apple HD
> SC Setup from the Disk Tools floppy in System 7.0 won't recognize my
> hard drive!  More specifically, when it starts up it searches for SCSI
> devices and finds none.  I had heard that Apple HD SC Setup 7.0 would
> recognize third-party drives.

[Stuff deleted]
> --
>   Tom Ngo
>   ngo@harvard.harvard.edu
>   617/495-1768 lab number, leave message

Apple's Hard Disk Setup is made to work ONLY on Apple drives.  When you
purchase 3rd party drives, they come with software (if they are made for the
Macintoh), use it.  If you're drive doesn`t come with utility software or
you don't like the software it comes with, then buy SilverLining from LaCie
Software.

There is, however, a way to patch the Apple Driver software so that it can
format all sorts of drives.  The utility looks into the SCSI drive's ROMs
to figure out what kind of drive it is.  If it is a brand which Apple supports
(40MB Sony, 40S and 80S Quantum, 160 Impris and a few others) then the driver
will allow you to format the drive.  If your drive doesn`t fit on this list,
it is possible to use ResEdit to add it, but I don't recommend this to the
ill of heart.

So why would you _want_ to use the Apple driver with a third party drive?
Perhaps AU/X is the only reason I an think of.  Many third party drivers
don't supply support for AU/X.

In any case, to answer the original question: it is not a _problem_ that the Apple driver does not work with the Quatum 105S mechanism.

Good luck,
--
Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu