[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac on its side

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (05/16/91)

DON.NOLL@p3425.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (DON NOLL) writes:

>    Laying any Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIfx on its side is dangerous!
>PH> This is because the hard disk is mounted with the read/write arm
>PH> mounted sideways.

This is mostly hooey.  If you check with your drive manufacturer--not
Apple, but someone who knows--the drives can be oriented any way but
face down or on their ends.  Almost all are specifically warranted in
those three positions only, and no others.  Unless Quantum has changed
their minds, the Pro80 and 40 are OK on their sides or bottom.

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May16.010706.1651@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>, alex@grian (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>DON.NOLL@p3425.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (DON NOLL) writes:
>
>>    Laying any Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIfx on its side is dangerous!
>>PH> This is because the hard disk is mounted with the read/write arm
>>PH> mounted sideways.
>
>This is mostly hooey.  If you check with your drive manufacturer--not
>Apple, but someone who knows--the drives can be oriented any way but
>face down or on their ends.  Almost all are specifically warranted in
>those three positions only, and no others.  Unless Quantum has changed
>their minds, the Pro80 and 40 are OK on their sides or bottom.

I agree - I've kept every single mac I've owned/used on its side and I
have never experienced any problems.  Almost everyone I know does also
this.  It does help to get the little stands if you have the
large-format machine, since it keeps the machine from being knocked
over accidentally.  This is not so important for the compact-format
machines, since the little rubber feet can be moved to the other side,
and their geometry is a bit more stable in the first place.

anders

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May16.050125.26971@verity.com> anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:

>I agree - I've kept every single mac I've owned/used on its side and I
>have never experienced any problems.

The only problem I've had with this is that I have an SE/30, and my neck
gets pretty sore after a while.  :-)
				 ^^^ (literally!)

Alan

  Alan R Fry                     |    You know what I hate?
  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |    Rhetorical questions

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.010706.1651@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>DON.NOLL@p3425.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (DON NOLL) writes:
>
>>    Laying any Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIfx on its side is dangerous!
>>PH> This is because the hard disk is mounted with the read/write arm
>>PH> mounted sideways.
>
>This is mostly hooey.  If you check with your drive manufacturer--not
>Apple, but someone who knows--the drives can be oriented any way but
>face down or on their ends.  Almost all are specifically warranted in
>those three positions only, and no others.  Unless Quantum has changed
>their minds, the Pro80 and 40 are OK on their sides or bottom.

Actually, I believe Quantum states that any position MAY be used to mount
their disks. My Q280 (the 80 meg version used in original Mac IIs) works
just fine upside down. In fact, this is the only position that it won't
scream with bearing noise. Apple's warning about side-mounting the Mac II
is due to the position of the power supply. It is at the bottom in a side
mounted configuration. The heat from the supply will rise to
the disk drives instead of being sucked out by the fan. It's better,
therefore to place the Mac II on the other side, but then you won't be able
to get at the floppy disk drive.  The IIcx and IIci have their power
supplies on the same side as the disks. No problem at all setting them on
their sides!

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/17/91)

In article <14082@ur-cc.UUCP> afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) writes:
>The only problem I've had with this is that I have an SE/30, and my neck
>gets pretty sore after a while.  :-)
>				 ^^^ (literally!)

Yeah, but it really helps when you have an assignment to do, and you're
sick in bed!!! :)
               ^^ (also literally!)
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -

DON.NOLL@p3425.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (DON NOLL) (05/17/91)

AP> DON.NOLL@p3425.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (DON NOLL) writes:
AP>
AP> >    Laying any Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIfx on its side is dangerous!
AP> >PH> This is because the hard disk is mounted with the read/write arm
AP> >PH> mounted sideways.
AP>
AP> This is mostly hooey.  If you check with your drive manufacturer--not
AP> Apple, but someone who knows--the drives can be oriented any way but
AP> face down or on their ends.  Almost all are specifically warranted in
AP> those three positions only, and no others.  Unless Quantum has changed
AP> their minds, the Pro80 and 40 are OK on their sides or bottom.
AP>
AP> 	Alex

Hey ALEX, I didn't write that, please check who your quoter was quoting, I was also saying this was HOOEY.

Not in those exact words..........
Whoever PH is should get your tirade not me!

 * Origin: Don's Point, Get it? (1:109/421.3425)

cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs421317) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.010706.1651@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>DON.NOLL@p3425.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (DON NOLL) writes:
>
>>    Laying any Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIfx on its side is dangerous!
>>PH> This is because the hard disk is mounted with the read/write arm
>>PH> mounted sideways.
>
>This is mostly hooey.  If you check with your drive manufacturer--not
>Apple, but someone who knows--the drives can be oriented any way but
>face down or on their ends.  Almost all are specifically warranted in
>those three positions only, and no others.  Unless Quantum has changed
>their minds, the Pro80 and 40 are OK on their sides or bottom.
>
>	Alex
>--
>		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
>		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others
>		...elroy!grian!alex; BIX: alex; voice: (818) 791-7979
>		fax: (818) 794-2297    bbs: 791-1013; 8N1 24/12/3  BIX: alex

Isn't the 40 meg HDA in my cx the same Sony mechanism in other long-box Macs? I
know that I can turn my case on it's side -- the manual says it's Apple
approved. If there were some reason not to, wouldn't it hurt my drive too?

- Gary Goldberg
Census Bureau/DIR/SIRS
AOL:OgGreeb
cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/19/91)

>>DON.NOLL@p3425.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (DON NOLL) writes:
>>
>>>    Laying any Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIfx on its side is dangerous!

The only rule of thumb that I have been told is to format the
drive in the orientation of use, i.e if you are going to put the
mac on its side, format it in this orientation, don't format it
on its bottom and then move it to its side.

The idea here is that gravity will affect the way the r/w head
arm will pass over the platters.

But then again...what do I know?  I have had macs in both orientations
and reversed the situation without any problems.
--
= Enjoy!                                                                   =
=          John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group       =

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (05/23/91)

> I agree - I've kept every single mac I've owned/used on its side and I
> have never experienced any problems.  Almost everyone I know does also
[stuff deleted]

> anders

I hope you didn't own any Mac Pluses or SE's ;->

--
Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (05/23/91)

cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs421317) writes:

>Isn't the 40 meg HDA in my cx the same Sony mechanism in other long-box Macs? I
>know that I can turn my case on it's side -- the manual says it's Apple
>approved. If there were some reason not to, wouldn't it hurt my drive too?

That depends on the drive--remember that Apple continues to
mix-and-match HDAs all day and into the night.  If they have stabilized
on the Sony, then, yes, it's probably pretty much like all the other
Sonys.  Which work fine on their sides.

	Alex