[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Plus to SE/30

Mark.Hollingsworth@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Hollingsworth) (05/18/91)

>Just out of curiosity (and ignorance), why can't you
>put a SE/30 upgrade into a Plus?

>Just to make it easy, I'll make some gross assumptions
>for you to shoot down:

>1) The cases are relatively the same (some small
>differences, but nothing a little plastic and glue
>couldn't fix.

>2) The drives, tube, keyboard, SCSI devices, and
>(maybe) the power supply is the same.

 It is a nice idea, but won't work. I won't argue on the #1 point, I'm sure
you could fit things if you tried hard enough. But #2, the floppy drive is
different (1.4meg), the keyboard is ADB, the power supply is quite a bit
different.
 I suppose if you had a complete SE/30 with a bad case and tube, you could
stuff it into a Plus case with some work....but the likelihood of finding
such an animal seems minimal to me.
 Considering the price of the SE->SE/30 upgrade, I don't think it would be
any bargain anyway. You are better off selling the plus, and buying a
discounted/used SE/30...thats what I did. Sold my Plus with a 60 meg HD for
$2200, and bought the SE/30 (new) for $2850 and 105 HD for$600. Of course
the prices for both selling the old and buying the new have dropped
considerably, but I think with some work thats the best way to upgrade.

--
Mark Hollingsworth - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet, reed}!glacier!busker!354!1!Mark.Hollingsworth

scharff@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Guillermo Scharffenorth) (05/21/91)

Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to sell a mac+ and a 60meg HD for
$2,200.00?  I have seen used mac+'s selling for under $500.00 and a new
60meg HD should not be more seven or eigth hundred.

Guillermo Schrffenorth
scharff@ucunix.san.uc.edu

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (05/24/91)

In article <550.2837214D@busker.fidonet.org> Mark.Hollingsworth@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Hollingsworth) writes:
>>Just out of curiosity (and ignorance), why can't you
>>put a SE/30 upgrade into a Plus?
...(more detail to the question)
> It is a nice idea, but won't work.
...(more detail to the answer)

I've done it, it works, and it has for the past two or so years.
You've gotta generate the -5V in the cable that goes to the logic
board, and stretch the vertical sync in the cable.  And there's
hacking to the case, too.

But as Mark points out, nowadays it's probably not the way to go.  When
I did it, the SE/30 was expensive, and I had a 512KE just begging to be
upgraded.  I could get an SE/30 logic board for only $1000.  I was weak,
and gave in to the cries of the KE.
--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett