[comp.sys.mac.hardware] System 7.0 and turbo-charged 512e's

6500erik@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Erik Adams) (05/20/91)

Here's a question:  has anyone tried System 7.0 using
a 512ke that has been upgraded using Computer Care's
board, or NewBridge System's, Dove, or some other
upgrade that adds memory but is not really an accelerator?

As the soon-to-be owner of Computer Care's product, I have
to know this sort of thing.

At least, until I buy an LC :-)

Erik
6500erik@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu or 6500erik@ucsbuxa.bitnet
"Very good.  You show remarkable intelligence for a trooper."

tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) (05/21/91)

I have just installed it on a 512e with Dove 2 meg and SCSI,
connected to a MacinStore CDC 170 meg drive with 2.1 software.
I selected "all macs" "imagewriter" "laserwriter" and "networking?"
All went quite smoothly with only a few glitches.

In spite of using an empty partition to get a virgin system,
I got a System Bomb (address error) when it was rebuilding the
desktop of one of the other partitions. (This has been mentioned on c.s.m.system)
Moving the whole disk to another empty partition didn't help.
I moved the top level files/folders one or 2 at a time until it rebuilt.
Likely, "select all" and dragging everything would have worked.

Sounds need the 512KE XPRAM INIT just like in previous systems.

It doesn't even try to open MPW 3.0 Shell. Other launchers will run it fine.
Most stuff works. Its not an SE/40 tho. :-(

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (05/24/91)

In article <11401@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500erik@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Erik Adams) writes:
>Here's a question:  has anyone tried System 7.0 using
>a 512ke that has been upgraded using Computer Care's
>board, or NewBridge System's, Dove, or some other
>upgrade that adds memory but is not really an accelerator?

My System 7 arrived, and being that sort I immediately upgraded the
Mac512ke with a MacRescue I keep at work.

It only has 2 Meg of RAM at the moment so it wasn't too useful. But
it worked fine.

Since the disk was a mirror of the disk in my IIsi at home I lost
little. When I got home the disk went back to 6.0.7 and then I
upgraded the IIsi to 7.0 8^)

When I get a few spare $$ the 512ke will go back up to 4 Meg and
System 7.0 will go back onto it.

jim
--
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud  | Sys-