[comp.sys.mac.hardware] "Clean" ROM upgrades

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.164217.10045@odin.corp.sgi.com>, autry@sgi.com (Larry Autry) writes:
|> A previously posted article stated that Apple literature made the statement
|> that Macs could address up to x amount of memory.  More specifically, in my
|> SE/30 hardware manual, the promise is explicitly made.  The statement is
|> made to the effect, that  the SE/30 will address up to 128 megabytes of
|> memory when denser memory becomes available.  I call that an explicit promise.
|> I believe that Apple is therefore obligated to provide any upgrade or product
|> enhancement that is necessary to make it so.

I think a reasonable interpretation of this is that Apple is not necessarily
required to supply a _ROM_ upgrade - a software fix would probably be good enough,
even if it would leave some people unhappy.

Although I don't know whether the law is analogous, I found it interesting that
the FDA pulled a big brand of orange juice off the market for using the word
Fresh in much bigger letters than the words "from concentrate". And these
guys were just being a bit misleading to the near-sighted.

Could the FDA be persuaded an Apple computer falls within their jurisdiction?
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/21/91)

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

PM> Could the FDA be persuaded an Apple computer falls within their
PM> jurisdiction?

    Hmmmm.  Can you eat Apples?  Are you addicted to macs?  Well then.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)

grohol@novavax.UUCP (John Grohol) (05/24/91)

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

>Could the FDA be persuaded an Apple computer falls within their jurisdiction?

Ummm, I think not. Last time I checked, an Apple computer (no matter
WHAT the brand name, smile!) is still a computer, not an apple.

Neither a food nor drug it be,
Apple's a computer,
Or at least tries to be.

 John M. Grohol                     ||  Nova University - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
 Internet: grohol@novavax.nova.edu  ||  Center for Psychological Studies
             "Or would you like to be a fish?" - Laurie Anderson