[fa.info-vax] Emacs for the VAX.

info-vax (12/04/82)

>From Aliff.DODCSC@MIT-MULTICS  Sat Dec  4 15:17:43 1982
To: info-vax@SRI-CSL
Cc: Aliff.DODCSC@MIT-MULTICS
Remailed-Date:  4 Dec 1982 1047-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL: ;

I've heard that there's a version of Emacs for the Vax 11/7xx.  Does
anyone know how I can get a copy?

 Thanks,
 Steve

info-vax (03/01/83)

>From GEOFF@SRI-CSL  Tue Mar  1 03:00:18 1983
To: INFO-VAX@SRI-CSL, EDITOR-PEOPLE@SU-SCORE
Remailed-Date: 28 Feb 1983 1633-PST
Remailed-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff5 at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-To: Info-VAX@SRI-CSL.ARPA: ;

I have a confession to make. VAX-NIL hackers/users at MIT, and VAX
users in the AI-LAB have been doing most of their editing on PDP-10's
using real ITS EMACS, or on LispMachines; since we depend a lot on
high performance and sophisticated features, and the local area
network (CHAOSNET) makes the file transfers to and from the VAX's
trivial. On the VAX itself most get by with EDT using an init
file to set up basic ITS EMACS keybindings. (Yes, EDT has multiple
buffers, and runs fine as a suspendable/continuable subprocess, as
does everything else under VMS, contrary to popular belief, but thats
another story ...)

That is not to say we aren't being slightly unfair, it is just that we didn't
want to expend much effort in other editors, which have restricted availability
and extendability.

However, now I can announce an editor which will have the same
distribution policy as Stallman's (ITS/TOPS-20) Emacs, that is, in the
public domain, which aims at being as extensible as Multics Emacs
(which has a reputation for making editor programming in lisp accessible to
everyone), and which is coded using the most modern programming
technology we have at our disposal; and finally, to use
echo-negotiation, remote-editing protocal, and other techniques, so
that it will be efficient enough (using as little machine resources
per user as possible) to gain acceptance in all environments.

The purpose of this note,
Question (1): What sites could use such an editor, given a release date
              of July 1983?
Question (2): What sites could use such an editor without much efficiency
              "bumming?" Also, one that will be doing single character
              I/O and process-level echoing? (Same situation as the editors
              developed under Unix).
Question (3): What interested hackers may be available?

We have something running now which is usable for editing source files
on our VAX here; so the answers to the questions will greatly influence
design decisions and plans relating to distribution and general usability.

-GJC