[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Cheap color for SE/30

tonym@polari.UUCP (Tony Mann) (05/23/91)

I have an SE/30 and I have finally decided that I need a bigger screen with
color.  I do not need anything fancy, but I do not want to kill my eyes staring
at a fuzzy picture.  An 8-bit card with a 14" screen would be fine. I want to
spend as little as possible. Anyone have any suggestions as to brand, vendor,
etc?

-- Tony Mann, Spontaneous Software

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (05/24/91)

tonym@polari.UUCP (Tony Mann) writes:

>I have an SE/30 and I have finally decided that I need a bigger screen with
>color.  I do not need anything fancy, but I do not want to kill my eyes staring
>at a fuzzy picture.  An 8-bit card with a 14" screen would be fine. I want to
>spend as little as possible. Anyone have any suggestions as to brand, vendor,
>etc?
>
>-- Tony Mann, Spontaneous Software

I use a Lapis ColorServer (1 MB memory) and a SuperVGA monitor at
800*600 pixels 256 color.
The ColorServer supports many different monitors (800*600*256c at 72
frames per second for example an monitors with multiple scan rates) up
to 19 inch dual page and is pretty cheap. VGA or SuperVGA monitors are
extremly cheap now.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Hi! (Zaphod Beeblebrox)

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/24/91)

In <4180@polari.UUCP> tonym@polari.UUCP (Tony Mann) writes:
>I have an SE/30 and I have finally decided that I need a bigger screen with
>color.  I do not need anything fancy, but I do not want to kill my eyes staring
>at a fuzzy picture.  An 8-bit card with a 14" screen would be fine. I want to
>spend as little as possible. Anyone have any suggestions as to brand, vendor,
>etc?

I just finished purchasing a RasterOps 24-bit color card and Applecolor
monitor for my SE/30 (it's finally arrived, and works great.)  When I was
shopping around, the only other recommended option besides the Applecolor
monitor was the 14" Seiko, which is cheaper than the 13" Apple color monitor
by almost $100.  Quality is supposed to be very good on this monitor.

As for a cheap SE/30 color card that will work with either the Apple or
Seiko monitor, the Micron 8-bit color card has a very good reputation.  (I
bought the 24-bit color card simply because it was only about $150 more from
my dealer.)  I think that's about the cheapest decent combination you could
get for the SE/30.

                           "Portions of today's Twisted Radio are sponsored by
                            `Nut 'N Raisin Honey', the breakfast cereal for
                            impotent men."
                                           -- KISW
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...