[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Which Macs can USE 16Mb SIMMS? was Re: A Classic Dead End?

bgrubb@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (05/24/91)

In the April 1991 issue of MacUser I read an article called "SIMMple
Pleasures" by Owen W. Lenzmayer pg 194 that stated in a table on page 198
that you could INSTALL 16Mb SIMMs in the following Macs: LC, II, IIx, IIcx,
IIsi, IIci, and the IIfx.  This was fine except the same table said that
of the 32bit clean Macs ONLY the IIfx could USE 128Mb(the LC maximum is 10Mb,
the IIsi is 17Mb and the IIci maximum RAM is 32Mb). So my question is two
fold: Will putting 32 bit clean ROMs in the II, IIx, and the IIcx really
give you the ablity to USE 128Mb? and What is the problem with the IIsi
and the IIci that they cannot use 65Mb and 128Mb respectivly?

jfw@neuro (John F. Whitehead) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.121946.24471@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> bgrubb@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu writes:
>In the April 1991 issue of MacUser I read an article called "SIMMple
>Pleasures" by Owen W. Lenzmayer pg 194 that stated in a table on page 198
>that you could INSTALL 16Mb SIMMs in the following Macs: LC, II, IIx, IIcx,
>IIsi, IIci, and the IIfx.

I thought the max for my IIx is only 8MB... can I use 16MB in a IIx???
    John Whitehead                     Internet:  jfw@neuro.duke.edu
    Department of Neurobiology                    jfw@well.sf.ca.us
    Duke University Medical Center     Bitnet:    white002@dukemc
    Durham, North Carolina