[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus power supply woes

reynhout@CS.URI.EDU (Andrew Reynhout) (05/27/91)

   Until I fix inews, I'm trusting that this mail gateway will work...

   As the owner of a vintage 1985 Mac Plus, I have watched notes about the
flakiness of the Mac Plus power supply with some interest.  Unfortunately, not
with enough interest to archive them for future reference...It can't happen to
me, after all.

   Well, six years later, my PS is getting disturbing.  Symptoms are the odd
contortion of the screen, along with occasional shimmers, or even transient
static for an instant.  Before this turns into a bigger, more expensive prob-
lem, I would like to get it fixed.

   I'm adept with a soldering iron, and reasonably familiar with PS designs,
but I need some help here.  I recall there having been a quick, relatively
inexpensive and simple fix (something on the order of replacing a capacitor or
perhaps a transformer).  I am also peripherally aware that there are "refurb-
ishing kits" available from some distributors, but I don't have any addresses
or telephone numbers, nor do I know where to find them.

   Any information or assistance you could provide would be most appreciated.
This is something of limited interest, I'm sure...so mail would be most
appropriate.  I will summarize if there is any interest.

   Thanks much,
   Andrew  <reynhout@cs.uri.edu>

osborn@ux1.lbl.gov (James R Osborn) (05/27/91)

In article <9105270213.AA27355@cs.uri.edu> reynhout@CS.URI.EDU (Andrew Reynhout) writes:

>   Until I fix inews, I'm trusting that this mail gateway will work...
>
>   As the owner of a vintage 1985 Mac Plus, I have watched notes about the
>flakiness of the Mac Plus power supply with some interest.  Unfortunately, not
>with enough interest to archive them for future reference...It can't happen to
>me, after all.
>
>   Well, six years later, my PS is getting disturbing.  Symptoms are the odd
>contortion of the screen, along with occasional shimmers, or even transient
>static for an instant.  Before this turns into a bigger, more expensive prob-
>lem, I would like to get it fixed.
>
>   I'm adept with a soldering iron, and reasonably familiar with PS designs,
>but I need some help here.  I recall there having been a quick, relatively
>inexpensive and simple fix (something on the order of replacing a capacitor or
>perhaps a transformer).  I am also peripherally aware that there are "refurb-
>ishing kits" available from some distributors, but I don't have any addresses
>or telephone numbers, nor do I know where to find them.
>
>   Any information or assistance you could provide would be most appreciated.
>This is something of limited interest, I'm sure...so mail would be most
>appropriate.  I will summarize if there is any interest.
>
>   Thanks much,
>   Andrew  <reynhout@cs.uri.edu>

I happen to think it's probably of more interest to people than you
think, so here goes...  I recommend that you purchase:

"Macintosh Repair & Upgrade Secrets"
Larry Pina
Hayden Books
ISBN 0-672-48452-8

It covers Mac 128k through SE.  It is available through many Mac mail
order companies and stores for $20-30.  The book covers all sorts of
testing and adjustment procedures as well as good detailed instructions
for performing the repairs.  Also it gives good lists for all of the
parts and suitable (read this BETTER) replacement parts.  No Mac
schematics though.  The best resource for supplies given in the book
(IMHO) is:

Soft Solutions
907 River Road, Suite 98
Eugene, Oregon 97404
(503) 461-1136

They are real nice folks.  They sell a heavy duty power supply upgrade
kit which comes with an SE flyback transformer (which sounds like your
problem) plus a bunch of capacitors and rectifiers that typically fry
in the Mac, all for $51.  They also sell fans and other stuff including
the book I mentioned above.  Give em' a call or mail them a letter, and
they'll send you a catalog.

-- James

| James R. Osborn              | It just goes to show you it's always |
| Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory | something.  Either it's baffling     |
| osborn@ux1.lbl.gov           | tech notes or your mac is smoking.   |
| (415) 548-8464               | It's always something...             |