[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MAC FX and PC/AT In One Box

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (05/26/91)

	We have decide to dispose of our AT, due to lack of use.
 (mainly because the thing is so un innovative and time consuming
to do the most trival task compared to our mac's)

However, there are some programs we still require to use. There is also
a Universal system programmer, and CPU emulator, that are driven by one
eight (8) bit interface card.

	We have decided to Buy an FX, And what we need to know, is there
some sort of plug in card that will enable us to use our PC/AT software
and even an 8 bit expansion card to enable us to plug in our
development gear. This equipment is expensive, an its important that we
get a system that can handle the requirements of it.

Anyone come across a beast that could plug into our future FX and do the trick.

thanks in advance

steve h

upsiu@mcs.drexel.edu (Paul Siu) (05/27/91)

In article <steveh.675259687@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:

>	We have decide to dispose of our AT, due to lack of use.
> (mainly because the thing is so un innovative and time consuming
>to do the most trival task compared to our mac's)
>
>However, there are some programs we still require to use. There is also
>a Universal system programmer, and CPU emulator, that are driven by one
>eight (8) bit interface card.
>
>	We have decided to Buy an FX, And what we need to know, is there
>some sort of plug in card that will enable us to use our PC/AT software
>and even an 8 bit expansion card to enable us to plug in our
>development gear. This equipment is expensive, an its important that we
>get a system that can handle the requirements of it.

The Orange-Micro board can accept an 8-bit card.  It runs only in CGA mode,
but can transfer data between Mac and PC.  On the other hand, for the price
of the card, you can buy a faster, fully configurated PC clone.  You may
want to keep your PC around if you really need to use the interface card.

Paul Siu
upsiu@mcs.drexel.edu

scum@walney.com (Steven C. Monroe) (05/27/91)

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:

What a pile of crap!  Are you a pseudo-religious mac zealot?

>	We have decide to dispose of our AT, due to lack of use.
> (mainly because the thing is so un innovative and time consuming
>to do the most trival task compared to our mac's)

I would like to see your proof for the previous statement!

>However, there are some programs we still require to use. There is also
>a Universal system programmer, and CPU emulator, that are driven by one
>eight (8) bit interface card.

I thought there was a "lack of use, un-innovative" problem with the AT?
Are you saying now that there is something the AT can do that you make
cannot without some sort of bastardization?

>	We have decided to Buy an FX, And what we need to know, is there
>some sort of plug in card that will enable us to use our PC/AT software
>and even an 8 bit expansion card to enable us to plug in our
>development gear. This equipment is expensive, an its important that we
>get a system that can handle the requirements of it.

Why don't you try to find native mac (nubus) cards to support the functions
that you want?  That is, if you really want to ditch the AT (as opposed to
making it appear to be gone).

>Anyone come across a beast that could plug into our future FX and do the trick.

They are all just tools.  There is no one true god, er, I mean computer.

--
-*-*-*
Steve Monroe		scum@walney.com