[comp.sys.mac.hardware] more nubus power??

lito@ecl.psu.edu (LCubed) (05/13/91)

hi,

is it possible to beef up the power supply on a cx??
i've been checking the specs for various 24 bit video cards
and in combination with the radius rocket board (draws 4.5A @ 5V)
, the power totals seem to exceed the recommended limits for my
cx's nubus. (example, the apple 8-24 GC card draws about 20 W or
4A @5V, this with the rocket exceeds the limit by 2.5 A)

any suggestions??
thanks in advance,

--
lito lucena                                | Keeper of the Ranma Archives
lito@ecl.psu.edu   (InterNet)              |  Japanese Animation Junkie

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May12.225346.1191@ecl.psu.edu> lito@ecl.psu.edu (LCubed) writes:
>hi,
>
>is it possible to beef up the power supply on a cx??

MicroNet Technology has a beefed-up power supply which will fit a IIcx or
IIci (I'm not sure, but I think it nearly doubles the power output of the
original).  MicroNet can be reached at (714) 837-6033.

John Heckendorn
--
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (05/14/91)

lito@ecl.psu.edu (LCubed) writes:

}is it possible to beef up the power supply on a cx??
}i've been checking the specs for various 24 bit video cards
}and in combination with the radius rocket board (draws 4.5A @ 5V)
}, the power totals seem to exceed the recommended limits for my
}cx's nubus. (example, the apple 8-24 GC card draws about 20 W or
}4A @5V, this with the rocket exceeds the limit by 2.5 A)

}any suggestions??

Sure.  First, you don't *NEED* an 8-24 GC with a Rocket since the Rocket
provides not only general CPU acceleration, but also QuickDraw acceleration
using NuBus Block Transfer (just like the GC and also like the original
NuBus graphics accelerator, the Radius QuickColor board).  So, save your
money and just get the Apple 8-24, or better yet the Radius DirectColor/GX
board (since it's probably cheaper than the 8-24).  :-)

As an alternative, if you still need more power in your IIcx, you can get a
drop-in replacement for the stock Apple power supply from several companies,
including Micronet.  You can reach them at (714) 581-1540.  I don't know what
their power supply sells for, and I have no relation to Micronet, other than
the fact that I've seen their power supply, and it seems to be a pretty good
match for a system with a Rocket, 24-bit video, and yet another board.  It
should supply more than enough power for you, but contact Micronet for more
information as to just how much power it will supply.

}thanks in advance,

No problem...

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (05/19/91)

Now all we need is a beefed up power supply for the IIsi, so that Radius
can bundle it with the Rocket :) :).
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

bob@radius.com (bob lashley) (05/29/91)

	>Now all we need is a beefed up power supply for the IIsi, so that Radius
	>can bundle it with the Rocket :) :).

Haven't you heard of rocket exhaust?  How do you think those things
move anyway?