[comp.sys.mac.hardware] hooking a Laserwriter to a Sparc...

delingma@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (05/23/91)

I am looking for suggestions as to how to connect an
Apple Laserwriter to a Sparc workstation.  Sun suggests either buying
their laserprinter or hooking it up via a null modem cable.  They also
require us to buy a postscript convertor... any help is appreciated
Thanks

delingma@thunder.lakeheadu.ca

marc@porsche944.Eng.Sun.COM (Marc Schneider) (05/24/91)

In article <9105221859.AA05533@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> delingma@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:

>I am looking for suggestions as to how to connect an
>Apple Laserwriter to a Sparc workstation.  Sun suggests either buying
>their laserprinter or hooking it up via a null modem cable.  They also
>require us to buy a postscript convertor... any help is appreciated
>Thanks
>
>delingma@thunder.lakeheadu.ca

 Well, Sun Laserwriters are the same printer. Just use the standard
RS-232 port and not the apple-talk port. I assume you have the Apple
laserwriter II and not the true-type personal laserwriter.

 Sparcstations as with all sun equipment requires Postscript for any
printing device.

-Marc Schneider
 MMPP Video Group
 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
--
Marc T. Schneider   Sun Microsystems, Inc. :
                                           : " When you just don't have time

bob@radius.com (bob lashley) (05/29/91)

One way to do it is using a Fastpath or similar method of connecting the
Laserwriter to ethernet, and then using TOPS running on the SPARC to access the
printer (as well as other Macs, PCs).  The downside to this is most people I've
been listening to are advising people to punt on TOPS when they upgrade to 7.0.
Better to use the 7.0's capabilities for file sharing, I'm told.