[comp.sys.mac.hardware] <None>

peters@sahiways.gov.au (01/04/90)

In article <17521602MR@MSU>, 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:
> I recently saw an advertisment and article for some type of audio card for
> the Mac which does cd quality recording onto a hard disk, and also can be
> used in hypermedia development work.  I can't find the article, the ad, or the
> product/company name anywhere... does anybody have a clue ?  Thanks....

The board you are after would be the DigiDesign "Sound Accelerator".  It comes
with some rather incredible software which allows you to do almost anything you
linke to the sound sample (provided you have enough RAM to play with!).

A full review of the DigiDesign board can be found in of all places, "Keyboard"
magazine, I think the August '89 issue from memory (around somewhere then
anyway :-)).  If you're having trouble locating the magazine in question, mail
me and I'll post you the details of the company, cost, specs etc.

Geoff Peters

eas521@venus.ycc.yale.edu (03/09/90)

I posted this to comp.sys.laser some days ago, but that group seems not to have
any new messages (at least at our site) for 2 weeks.  I thought I might have
some success here.

My LaserWriter IINT is confused!  A couple of weeks ago, it started printing on
the test page that I had made 400,000+ copies so far (!!! a better estimate is
about 6000).  Now, since last week, it doesn't print a test page at all.
Furthermore, the password seems to have changed as attempts to download header
files of various types meet with "invalidacess" complaints from the PostScript
interpreter!  Otherwise, the machine works fine.  In other words, I can get
most of my work done, but not being to download headers is going to make me
nuts soon!  (I should mention that I'm running the LW IINT from an AT-clone
with a LocalTalk card).

I'd appreciate it if someone can help me reset my printer to "factory specs".
Or does this mean a burned-out EEPROM on the system board?  I tried removing
and reinserting the system board, in the hope that that would reset something,
but no dice.

				Jim O'Brien
				Department of Chemical Engineering
				Yale University
				2159 Yale Station
				New Haven, CT 06520-2159

				OBRIEN%OBRIEN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU
				OBRIEN%OBRIEN@YALEVMS

Hess_E@cc.curtin.edu.au (09/26/90)

                 "ASK LCD Overhead Projector for Mac"

Does anyone out there know anything about a device called ASK LCD which is
simply an LCD for mounting on a overhead projector, which is connected via
a interface to a Mac Plus. Particularly I'm looking for addresses where we
obtain service information or at least where we might send it for repair

			Thanks in advance
					Bruce Bown

josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) (11/27/90)

Silly question, really.
A one-line follow-up will do.

Can 4MB SIMMs be used in a vanilla Mac II?

Thanks.

Josh

In article <1990Nov27.030238.10542@athena.mit.edu> josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) writes:

>Silly question, really.
>A one-line follow-up will do.
Actually, there is a whole tech note (three pages, as I recall) on it.

>Can 4MB SIMMs be used in a vanilla Mac II?
No.  If you have the SuperDrive ROM upgrade, yes, conditionally.  The condition
is that the SIMMS have an extra PAL to disable the test mode of the 4MB
chips.  (The SIMM sellers ought to be able to tell you whether they will work
with a II.  If they won't guarantee it, don't buy them)

ie3y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Andy Swanson) (11/30/90)

I am interested in video input for my Mac II.
In particular,  I am interested in displaying a video signal and
capturing it as eg. PICT.  I would prefer color (8 bit is acceptable.)
The price range I am interested in is under $1000.  Input from VCR is
required...
I am aware that Aapps makes several cards for this purpose,  but
would like to know more about what is available and what people have
experience with this kind of thing have found out.

  Andy

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (11/30/90)

Does anyone have any praise/warnings about the Ikegami 19" color monitors?

(19", 256 colors, trinitron tube, < $3K.)

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov27.030238.10542@athena.mit.edu> josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) writes:

>Silly question, really.
>A one-line follow-up will do.
>
>Can 4MB SIMMs be used in a vanilla Mac II?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Josh

yes, you can.  You will need to add 4 SIMMS though - 16mb, and the mac will
only recognize 8mb of that, but you can use something like Coneectix's
Maxxim to use the other 8mb as a RAM disk.

Blacksheep
Senior Systems Engineer
--
Darrin R. Woods						woods@convex.com

This is a guest account. Convex knows nothing about what I'm saying, or
even that I'm saying it.

zskgbuchanan@qut.edu.au (12/18/90)

Im interested to hear any reports
on the Western Digital line of Preference hard disks.

Although a number of computer shops sell them in Oz
Im yet to hear or see any information on their performance.

Ross Buchanan
ZSKGBUCHANAN.WATTLE.QUT.EDU.AU

gillies@cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (12/18/90)

Re: The new mac key board has a brain-damaged key layout pattern.

>Look at a program called Escape.  One option switches the escape and tilde
>keys.  It costs $20-$30 (I'm going to wait for someone to come out with a
>shareware or PD version).  I really believe that the person responsible for
>this problem should be fired!  (After all, that person had to WORK to get
>this changed, otherwise it would have been easier to keep it the same.)

I am sure the person responsible for this problem has been PROMOTED.
He has done an immense service to Apple, and commercial software
vendors such as the makers of "suitcase", etc.  He made the hardware
change and Bam! Instant market for keyboard-fixing software!

In the long run, this will bring money to the software vendors which
will be funneled into new editions of useful mac programs which will
drive up sales of the macintosh which will increase Apple's market
share!

Now if apple were to release a clean design, then shareware /
commercial vendors could not write useless software to fix the brain -
dead-ed-ness of the new product, and they would all go out of
business.  8-).

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801

thewho@elaine33.stanford.edu (Derek Fong) (02/07/91)

THANK YOU to everyone who responded to my questions about switching internal
and external hard drives, SCSI termination, and other questions.

Things are working fine now.

It appears my problem was that I needed to install the "terminating resisters"
into the former external drive so that it could terminate itself if necessary.

Well, that leads me to some comments about APS with whom I bought the drive
from.

Kudos to APS!

1) they included these resistors with my external drive taped to the hard
   drive inside the case just in case someone like me needed to make the
   drive an internal one.

2) their tech support was very helpful when I went through this process.  They
   were always willing to lend helpful advice.  Special thanks to Mark at APS
   whose help is greatly appreciated.

Finally, special thanks to Saiid for all of his helpful email comments.

---Derek Fong
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

again, as always, it is a pleasure to be part of this fine group.

disclaimer: I do not work for APS...I am only related by means of being a
very pleased customer!

m_pitt@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (02/07/91)

A piece of software called SoftPC will permit the LC to work as if an IBM AT
with an EGA screen, at XT speeds.

Two versionss are available:

1. New one for LC and Classic.

2. OLd one for most of others.

Check the details.  An article in Australian PC week Jan 30(?) gave
details.

chymes@geneva.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (03/20/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac.wanted
In article <FRANCIS.91Mar19175915@arthur.zaphod.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

>Is it possible to print onto (Xeroxable) transparencies with a
>Laserwriter II? (IINT or IISC--have both here--but I assume their
>print engines are the same, right?)
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>/============================================================================\
>| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
>| Department of Mathematics    |=============================================|
>| University of Chicago	       | Until you stalk and overrun,	     	     |
>| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu  |  you can't devour anyone. -- Hobbes 	     |
>\============================================================================/

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware
Subject: Trying to daisy chain Apple Desktop Bus keyboards,I need connectors!
Greetings Macintosh Hardware Gurus!
I a a human<->computer interface researcher at The U of Michigan and I
am looking for an almost impossible part to find.
I want to connect several Macintosh keyboards and mice to one
computer, and have them work simutainously. I have been told that the
ADB can handle this, but you can't simply daisy chain the keyboards
together because thier is no place to connect the mouse if you connect
the keyboards together.
So I am trying to build a Tee connector, that would fit between
keyboards, and allow one to plug in a mouse.
But I can`t find the bizzare socket that Apple uses for the ADB! I
need the female sockets that I can plug the mouse and keyboard
connections into.
Somebody PLEASE tell me where I can get such a thing!
Thank you very much

Charles Hymes
Charles Hymes aka Charweed Hymerfan (The Dude)
chymes@csmil.umich.edu

Work    C.S.M.I.L: room 2420busad,  (313)-764-6715,
                701 Tappan Street,Ann Arbor Michigan 48109-1234
        CSMIL FAX:(313) 936-3168

sleejy@cc.curtin.edu.au (05/29/91)

SSODERSTR@cc.curtin.edu.au   <<---- Reply Here!!
Hello...
	Im intersted in Importing a pre-loved MacII from the US. I know
the power supplies are International but I have some questions.

	(1) What is a reputable company to do this from?
	(2) Whats an average price for a MacII, 8Meg, 40/80HardDisk, 8-Bit
	color.
	(3) Marathon Racer for MacII....would it make the MacII basically a
	MacIIx ???
	(4) Dirty Roms....Does this matter is you probably won't need more mem
	that 8Megs?

All replies will be appreciated and if you have a MacII you want to sell and
are honest....give us a yell.

oh yeh	(5) Is it possible to get all these MacII motherboards that people
	dont need when upgrading to a IIx,IIfx and put them in a IBM AT case
	with Power suplply.

CU Evry1
Daniel.

Reply TOO