[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Can you mix SIMM speeds in one CPU?

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) (05/17/91)

I have a Mac II w/ 5 megs RAM: 4 1 MB SIMM's and 4 256k SIMMS.  The 1 MB SIMM's
are 80 ns, I believe.  Can I go to 8 meg using slower SIMM's in the other 4
sockets (that is, does it make any difference whether you use SIMM's of
different speeds in the same machine, as long as they all meet the CPU's
minimum requirement?)?

Any info much appreciated!

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "Good tea.        =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  Nice house."     =
=                                * mine                *  -Worf            =

cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (05/17/91)

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) writes:
>I have a Mac II w/ 5 megs RAM: 4 1 MB SIMM's....The 1 MB SIMM's
>are 80 ns, I believe.  Can I go to 8 meg using slower SIMM's in the other 4
>sockets....

You're on target.  As long as you don't mix speeds within the same *bank*
of SIMMs, and they all meet the machine's requirements, you're fine.  One
question, though:  where do you expect to get SIMMs slower than 80ns?
Last time I went SIMM shopping, all the vendors were selling only 80s
(except of course to fx owners); one told me that it had reached the
point where, if they carried 110s, they'd have to sell them for maybe
a buck or two less than 80s, so they just rationalized on one product.

--Carl Alexander
News Editor, The Active Window
cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May16.133437.1@gsbacd.uchicago.edu>, gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) writes:
> I have a Mac II w/ 5 megs RAM: 4 1 MB SIMM's and 4 256k SIMMS.  The 1 MB SIMM's
> are 80 ns, I believe.  Can I go to 8 meg using slower SIMM's in the other 4
> sockets (that is, does it make any difference whether you use SIMM's of
> different speeds in the same machine, as long as they all meet the CPU's
> minimum requirement?)?

As long as the SIMMs in a bank are all the same speed, and all SIMMs meet
or exceed the machine's requirements, there is no problem.  However, if you
mix speeds within a bank, expect all kinds of strange things to happen.
Anything from nothing at all to failure to the dreaded chord are possible.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:   G.AUSTIN3                  | AOnline:   GAustin                    |

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May16.133437.1@gsbacd.uchicago.edu>, gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) writes:
> I have a Mac II w/ 5 megs RAM: 4 1 MB SIMM's and 4 256k SIMMS.  The 1 MB SIMM's
> are 80 ns, I believe.  Can I go to 8 meg using slower SIMM's in the other 4
> sockets (that is, does it make any difference whether you use SIMM's of
> different speeds in the same machine, as long as they all meet the CPU's
> minimum requirement?)?
>
> Any info much appreciated!
>
> Robert

It is okay to put chips as slow as 120ns into a Mac II.  Just _try_ to keep
the speed of the chips in the same banks the same, i.e., use 4 100ns chips to
fill bank 2.  I have seen no problems however in mixing and matching different
speed SIMMs, but it is not recommended if it can be avoided.

Good luck,
--
Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

ccjapu@uta.fi (Jarmo Puntanen) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May17.083051.13427@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) writes:

>gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) writes:
>>I have a Mac II w/ 5 megs RAM: 4 1 MB SIMM's....The 1 MB SIMM's
>>are 80 ns, I believe.  Can I go to 8 meg using slower SIMM's in the other 4
>>sockets....
>
>You're on target.  As long as you don't mix speeds within the same *bank*
>of SIMMs, and they all meet the machine's requirements, you're fine.
>....... ...
>--Carl Alexander
>News Editor, The Active Window

Funny that this subject should recur. It was just in last December that
it last came to a halt, when Don North (North@Apple.com) wrote in
article 5875 in this group that you are *always* mixing speeds when
adding any RAM to any Mac and that as long as the minimum speed requirement
for that particular machine type is satisfied, the speed simply does not
matter. TN 176 of Apple has got it wrong, he said as well. If you have
lost track of that article, please ask me to mail it to you.

Jarmo Puntanen, University of Tampere Computer Centre, Tampere Finland.
From the horse's mouth: "27 out of 100 Americans can't read,
20 don't understand what they have read and the rest just couldn't care less."