[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Surge Suppressors

rcs8@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert C. Sprecher) (05/27/91)

Will someone knowledgable in the facts fill me in on the
necessary specs for good protection of computer equipment,
ie: clamping voltage, Max. surge dissipation, max spike current,
etc.

Also,  how about opinions  on the "under the computer" power
supplies/power switches.  Are they acceptable, useful, and if so,
what manufacturers are best?

Thanks in advance.
--
Robert C. Sprecher, M.D.	       (E-Mail)  rcs8@po.cwru.edu
Department of Otolaryngology	       (Voice)   216-844-3001

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May26.181622.4813@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> rcs8@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert C. Sprecher) writes:

>Will someone knowledgable in the facts fill me in on the
>necessary specs for good protection of computer equipment,
>ie: clamping voltage, Max. surge dissipation, max spike current,
>etc.

The only true surge suppressor that I have found, that I will trust my harware
to, is Zero Surge.  You can reach them at (708) 766-4220.  Ask them for info
and they will send you a detailed explaination of how various suppressors
work (and don't work ;-) and they give refs. to (UL/EIA/IEEE ?) specs for
surge suppression.

Nice folks to talk to, too!

--
	Ben Liberman    USENET    magik@chinet.chi.il.us