[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Low-level format

gt5311b@prism.gatech.EDU (BHATTACHARYA,ABHIJIT) (05/28/91)

My roommate just lost lots of data on his MS-DOS machine because of what he
told me was a "bad low-level format." He also adamantly states that EVERY
hard drive (including ones for the Mac) should have one done if the integrity of
the hard drive is in question.

My question is: what is a low-level format... do I have to worry about it or
is it just a PC related problem?

Thanks,

-Abhijit
--
BHATTACHARYA,ABHIJIT
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt5311b

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (05/30/91)

gt5311b@prism.gatech.EDU (BHATTACHARYA,ABHIJIT) writes:
>My roommate just lost lots of data on his MS-DOS machine because of what he
>told me was a "bad low-level format." He also adamantly states that EVERY
>hard drive (including ones for the Mac) should have one done if the integrity of
>the hard drive is in question.

>My question is: what is a low-level format... do I have to worry about it or
>is it just a PC related problem?

It is a bad bad thing to even think about low level formatting an IDE drive.
Which are common on MS-DOS computers.  Your roommate is WRONG!

--
Brian Aslakson
    brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.191122.15615@cs.umn.edu>, aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:
> gt5311b@prism.gatech.EDU (BHATTACHARYA,ABHIJIT) writes:
> >My roommate just lost lots of data on his MS-DOS machine because of what he
> >told me was a "bad low-level format." He also adamantly states that EVERY
> >hard drive (including ones for the Mac) should have one done if the integrity of
> >the hard drive is in question.
>
> >My question is: what is a low-level format... do I have to worry about it or
> >is it just a PC related problem?
>
> It is a bad bad thing to even think about low level formatting an IDE drive.
> Which are common on MS-DOS computers.  Your roommate is WRONG!
>
> --
> Brian Aslakson
>     brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)
>           aslakson@cs.umn.edu (talk)
>                   mac-admin@cs.umn.edu (Me!!)

Could you possibly identify the reason that it is bad?  I'm curious because
I have heard many complaints about the reliability of IDE drives.

Thanks.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu