[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MACINTOSH EDUCATIONAL PRICE LIST WANTED!!

teromen@ulrik.uio.no (Terje Romen) (05/29/91)

Hi there!

I would like to receive a Macintosh *educational* price list, as I have a friend
studying at Arizona State University who would be able to buy a Mac for me at
these prices.

As my friend isn't very much into computers and rather busy these days, I would
appreciate if someone would mail or fax me a price list.

Thanks in advance,

Terje Romen

Mail to: teromen@ifm.uio.no or teromen@ulrik.uio.no
Fax: +47 2 421323

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/29/91)

In article <910429.101406.teromen@tussi>, teromen@ulrik.uio.no (Terje Romen) writes:

>Hi there!
>
>I would like to receive a Macintosh *educational* price list, as I have a friend
>studying at Arizona State University who would be able to buy a Mac for me at
>these prices.

Although you'll probably have a copy sent to you by someone anyways, I'd like
to insert these notes:

The Higher Education Pricing Program (HEPP) price lists are
confidential.  Sez so right on the front of them (I'm looking at one
as I type).  Now, that doesn't mean that someone can't tell you about
the prices that their campus computer store charges, since that came
from the price list that store published, but the actual Apple HEPP
list is confidential.  (Even though it's one of the most widely
distributed "confidential" documents that I know of ;-)

Re-selling equipment purchased under an educational program, or buying
equipment for someone else is another no-no.  More than likely, your
friend would have to sign an agreement when he buys the equipment
stating that he will be using for educational purposes, and that he
will not resell it for a certain period of time.  Also, in most such
programs, folks can only buy one CPU every two years.  You friend
might want to consider that.

Submitted for your consideration.  I make no judgement of right or
wrong - that is for you and your friend.

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

teromen@ulrik.uio.no (Terje Romen) (05/30/91)

>Subject: Re: MACINTOSH EDUCATIONAL PRICE LIST WANTED!!
>From: gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu
>Date: 29 May 91 13:30:10 GMT
>
>In article <910429.101406.teromen@tussi>, teromen@ulrik.uio.no (Terje Romen) writes:
>>
>>Hi there!
>>
>>I would like to receive a Macintosh *educational* price list, as I have a friend
>>studying at Arizona State University who would be able to buy a Mac for me at
>>these prices.
>
>Although you'll probably have a copy sent to you by someone anyways, I'd like
>to insert these notes:
>
>The Higher Education Pricing Program (HEPP) price lists are
>confidential.  Sez so right on the front of them (I'm looking at one
>as I type).  Now, that doesn't mean that someone can't tell you about
>the prices that their campus computer store charges, since that came
>from the price list that store published, but the actual Apple HEPP
>list is confidential.  (Even though it's one of the most widely
>distributed "confidential" documents that I know of ;-)
>
>Re-selling equipment purchased under an educational program, or buying
>equipment for someone else is another no-no.  More than likely, your
>friend would have to sign an agreement when he buys the equipment
>stating that he will be using for educational purposes, and that he
>will not resell it for a certain period of time.  Also, in most such
>programs, folks can only buy one CPU every two years.  You friend
>might want to consider that.
>
>Submitted for your consideration.  I make no judgement of right or
>wrong - that is for you and your friend.
>
>---
>Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
>VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
>Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
>Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

teromen@ulrik.uio.no (Terje Romen) (05/30/91)

I'm sorry to be wasting the bandwidth, but I wasn't able to include me comments
in the previous posting regarding this matter.

have got through this group and direct mail.

From Jim Gaynors article:

>Subject: Re: MACINTOSH EDUCATIONAL PRICE LIST WANTED!!
>From: gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu
>Date: 29 May 91 13:30:10 GMT
>
>In article <910429.101406.teromen@tussi>, teromen@ulrik.uio.no (Terje Romen) writes:
>>
>>Hi there!
>>
>>I would like to receive a Macintosh *educational* price list, as I have a friend
>>studying at Arizona State University who would be able to buy a Mac for me at
>>these prices.
>
>Although you'll probably have a copy sent to you by someone anyways, I'd like
>to insert these notes:
>
>The Higher Education Pricing Program (HEPP) price lists are
>confidential.  Sez so right on the front of them (I'm looking at one
>as I type).  Now, that doesn't mean that someone can't tell you about
>the prices that their campus computer store charges, since that came
>from the price list that store published, but the actual Apple HEPP
>list is confidential.  (Even though it's one of the most widely
>distributed "confidential" documents that I know of ;-)
>
>Re-selling equipment purchased under an educational program, or buying
>equipment for someone else is another no-no.  More than likely, your
>friend would have to sign an agreement when he buys the equipment
>stating that he will be using for educational purposes, and that he
>will not resell it for a certain period of time.  Also, in most such
>programs, folks can only buy one CPU every two years.  You friend
>might want to consider that.
>
>Submitted for your consideration.  I make no judgement of right or
>wrong - that is for you and your friend.
>
>---
>Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
>VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
>Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
>Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

To Jim Gaynor and others that have replied directly by mail

I'm sorry if I have caused any trouble with my request for Mac edu. prices.

Working for the University of Oslo, I only have knowledge about local policy for
sale and resale at educational prices. Currently there are no restrictions other
than that one may not buy more than *one computer in one day*, meaning that you
may buy another computer the next day without violating current restrictions,
even though educational prices are 30-40% below MSRP.

If resale of equipment purchased at educational prices in the US are as re-
stricted as described above, I don't think I will bother asking my friend to
purchase a Mac for me, even though he would use it for about 6 months before
returning to Norway with it.

As for restriction of resale, it seems to me that this must be some kind of hype
as educational prices (yes, I did get some through the mail) seems to be
comparable to current street prices.

Hope that this will be the end of postings regarding this matter as I understand
I should have posted my original request in the mac.systems.wanted group, which
I later did.

Best regards,

Terje Romen

cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Cowboy) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.133010.16559@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
> In article <910429.101406.teromen@tussi>, teromen@ulrik.uio.no (Terje Romen) writes:
> >
> >I would like to receive a Macintosh *educational* price list, as I have a friend
> Although you'll probably have a copy sent to you by someone anyways, I'd like
> to insert these notes:
>
> The Higher Education Pricing Program (HEPP) price lists are
> confidential.  Sez so right on the front of them (I'm looking at one

Another thing is that I wonder if it is the same everywhere. I *still* waiting
for the upgrade prices to drop here at CMU. To upgrade my Mac SE to an SE/30
still costs something like $1270! yet, at Texas, the price went down weeks ago.
Kind of irritates me.

At anyrate, the point is that I'm not sure all store will follow the pricing
guidelines anyway. You should have your friend look up the prices for you at
his school.

And of course, remember what Gaynor said.

					-- Chris.
--

                                       -- Chris. (cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu)
"People make me pro-nuclear." -- Margarette Smith