[comp.sys.mac.hardware] DeskWriter driver 2.1 versus System 7

kik@wjh12.harvard.edu (Ken Kreshtool) (05/30/91)

As has been posted, the DeskWriter, using driver 2.1, does not like to print
under System 7 with virtual memory turned on.  This seems to be a bug in System
7, but HP is trying to do a work around.  In the meantime, we're supposed to
live either with VM or printing, but not both.  Well, I need printing even
more than I need VM, so I sighed and turned off VM.

But I just downloaded Nobu Toge's Flash-It 2.2b1, a screen capture init/cdev.
He notes in his docs that he also had trouble with virtual memory on, but
only in _24-bit mode_.  (I haven't tried Flash-It yet, but I read the docs.)

So I thought, hmmmmmmmm, maybe the DW has the same problem.  Maybe all of us
with printing problems in VM were also in 24-bit mode at the time?  After all,
don't really _need_ 32-bit, and so many apps can't handle it yet that I (and
maybe others?) have left it off.

I have switched VM back on, and have put my machine (IIsi) into 32-bit mode.
And printing is working!  No "datacomm buffer overrun" messages from the DW,
at least not yet!  'Course, gotta turn 32-bit off for some apps, but still....

Anybody else having the same kind of experience?

Ken Kreshtool
kik@wjh12.harvard.edu (my real e-mail address; this post is from a friend's
account on a different machine, so please don't just "r" back)
--
---
 Ah Love! Could You and I with Fate conspire, To Grasp this sorry scheme

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.233145.1215@husc3.harvard.edu> kik@wjh12.harvard.edu (Ken Kreshtool) writes:

[re : printing on the DeskWriter with virtual memory on]
>I have switched VM back on, and have put my machine (IIsi) into 32-bit mode.
>And printing is working!  No "datacomm buffer overrun" messages from the DW,
>at least not yet!  'Course, gotta turn 32-bit off for some apps, but still....

Oh, sure.  Rub it in for those of us who don't HAVE 32-bit machines!!  Not
only don't we get big memory, but we can't print.  Ugh.  :-)

Seriously, anybody know whether MODE32 will fix the problem, too?

Seeya,
--Mike