[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac LC & Jasmine DirectDrive 45

David.Wilson@actrix.gen.nz (David Wilson) (05/30/91)

I've got a Jasmine DirectDrive 45.  As far as I can remember, I
purchased it in 1988, direct from the US.  The drive has performed
without fault, been transported from machine to machine for the last
3-4 years.

The other day I had occasion to plug the Jasmine into a Mac LC.  The
LC failed to startup (also, the LC had an internal Hard Disk), it kept
on reporting the sad mac..... hardware errors!

Is it just possible that the driver on the disk is too old and not
able to function on the LC?  Am I on the right track?   Do I need some
up to date Jasmine driver software?

I believe that the drive is a Rodime mechanism under the cover?

--
David.Wilson@bbs.actrix.gen.nz
Wellington

hades@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Hades) (06/01/91)

David.Wilson@actrix.gen.nz (David Wilson) writes:

>I've got a Jasmine DirectDrive 45.  As far as I can remember, I
>purchased it in 1988, direct from the US.  The drive has performed
>without fault, been transported from machine to machine for the last
>3-4 years.

>The other day I had occasion to plug the Jasmine into a Mac LC.  The
>LC failed to startup (also, the LC had an internal Hard Disk), it kept
>on reporting the sad mac..... hardware errors!

>Is it just possible that the driver on the disk is too old and not
>able to function on the LC?  Am I on the right track?   Do I need some
>up to date Jasmine driver software?

    It sounds like the problem could be the system that the LC was running.
If it was running System 7.0, then you will definately need to update the
driver software. I recommend SilverLining if you can get it or possibly
talking to Jasmine and seeing if they have a 7.0 compatible driver.
    If the LC was running 6.0.7 then you definately need to talk to
Jasmine, because a friend of mine owns a DirectDrive 80 and a IISi and he
had no problems with 6.0.7 and the driver software that he had on the drive
which was 2 years old. Although he did need to upgrade to SilverLinign when
he went to 7.0.

>I believe that the drive is a Rodime mechanism under the cover?

    I don't think that the architecture would cause any undue problems by
itself. Later.

--
-Hades				| -Hustler's Words of Wisdom-
 aka. The Hustler		| 	"Cappuccino is irrelevant"