[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple HD / Silverlining Interaction bug?

brady@swift.cs.tcd.ie (05/30/91)

Net friends, here is a question about using two hard disks, one standard
Apple HD, the other a WREN III initialised with Silverlining. 5.22.
It seems that no matter what we set the Startup Disk to, the Mac will
always choose the Apple-initialised disk over the Silverlining-initialised one
Has anyone got a fix on this please?

Thanks, in advance.
Mike Brady
brady@cs.tcd.ie

In article <1991May30.100257.7941@swift.cs.tcd.ie> brady@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>Net friends, here is a question about using two hard disks, one standard
>Apple HD, the other a WREN III initialised with Silverlining. 5.22.
>It seems that no matter what we set the Startup Disk to, the Mac will
>always choose the Apple-initialised disk over the Silverlining-initialised one
>Has anyone got a fix on this please?

I believe this is the 'unit attention' problem.  Workarounds are to zap the
signature bytes on the Apple disk (a real pain), or to cut the SCSI reset line
(bad idea-- makes Startup Device work, but if the drive gets hung, you have
to cycle its power).

Anyone know how to turn off the Unit Attention on a WREN (III or IV)?