[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SE to SE/30 upgrade, or accelerator info wanted

macaulay@lyman.pppl.gov (Alex MacAulay) (06/01/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware
Subject: SE accelerator/upgrade info wanted
Sender: macaulay@lyman.pppl.gov
I have just bought a used mac SE, and am thinking about either upgrading it
to an SE/30 (I hear the prices for this have dropped <$1000) or putting in
an accelerator board. I am merely a novice mac user, so I dont know the
answer to a few relatively important questions:

what difference is there between an upgrade (replacing the logic board) and
popping an accelerator in (presumably into the processor direct slot?)? Since
the ROMs wont be changed, I guess I'll still be stuck with 4Meg limit and no
color, but will I be able to run system & with virtual memory with a 030
accelerator board with the PMMU? Are there any complications to look out for?
Will I need to replace my SE's current SIMM memory (with faster stuff), and
how much faster can I expect my SE to be?

Any answers to these questions would be appreciated (email please), especially
info concerning accelerator products that anyone has tried out, or even just
point me in the right direction for where I can find answers.

If I get much interesting info, will summarize to the net. Thanks in advance!

alex macaulay  "and there's a fire station right accross the street!"