[comp.sys.mac.hardware] price of accelerators

kenney@hsi86.hsi.com (Brian Kenney) (05/21/91)

In article <5133@dirac.physics.purdue.edu> sho@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>* One bomb.  The new finder lets you open up old systems as suitcases,
>  but it seems to crash when you try to do something to it.  I tried
>  opening my 6.0.5 system file and pull out a font, and the machine
>  hung.

I was able to succesfully do this on an SE with a System file from 6.0.7.

System 7 is very well done!  Thanks to Mark Johnson et. al. for being
able to ftp!

But Sys7 is ssssllllloooowww on an SE - I may be looking at
the SE -> SE/30 upgrade.  Have the prices of 3rd party accelerators
come down in the wake of Apple's price drop?  Seems kind of crazy
to buy a card for $500, when you can get the whole motherboard
swapped for $999.

Any info out there?

-Bri

--
Brian Kenney                                       kenney@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems                      Wallingford, CT

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/25/91)

Yes, system 7.0 is sllllooooooow!  I'd say it's noticeably slower on a
Mac II.  Those of you SE/Classic owners thinking of upgrading --
consider a 25Mhz board or better yet, an 040 CPU.  The most irritating
thing is that boot time seems to have increased by 5-10 seconds at
least.  This will not be good for people developing software.

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL

--

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May25.013620.26769@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
|> Yes, system 7.0 is sllllooooooow!  I'd say it's noticeably slower on a
|> Mac II.  Those of you SE/Classic owners thinking of upgrading --
|> consider a 25Mhz board or better yet, an 040 CPU.  The most irritating
|> thing is that boot time seems to have increased by 5-10 seconds at
|> least.  This will not be good for people developing software.

I don't notice any particular slowdown on my mere sub-16MHz
IIcx, barring movement of icons in the Finder and maybe a few
things I don't do often. Boot time doesn't seem to have changed
noticeably. I've heard this complaint about sluggishness though
from a Classic owner. I wonder if some machines are hit more
than others. Could it be that some optimizations were made for
68030 or colour machines, that don't help the lesser models?
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (05/28/91)

Gillies) writes:
>|> Yes, system 7.0 is sllllooooooow!  I'd say it's noticeably slower on a
>|> Mac II.  Those of you SE/Classic owners thinking of upgrading --
>|> consider a 25Mhz board or better yet, an 040 CPU.  The most irritating
>|> thing is that boot time seems to have increased by 5-10 seconds at
>|> least.  This will not be good for people developing software.
>
>I don't notice any particular slowdown on my mere sub-16MHz
>IIcx, barring movement of icons in the Finder and maybe a few
>things I don't do often. Boot time doesn't seem to have changed
>noticeably. I've heard this complaint about sluggishness though
>from a Classic owner. I wonder if some machines are hit more
>than others. Could it be that some optimizations were made for
>68030 or colour machines, that don't help the lesser models?
>--
>Philip Machanick
>philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

my 2cents worth...

on my IIci, Sys 7 seems to me to be quite a bit faster, especially for bootup,
and for anything having to do with the finder. yes, i know this is against
prevailing opinion. maybe it has to do with my old 6.0.3 system getting too big
- ie, now i have done an enforced housecleaning. but whatever the reason, the
Sys 7 i now have seems to me to be faster.

  ---jon---

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May25.052620.23582@neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>In article <1991May25.013620.26769@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
>|[slowdown of 7.0]
>
>I don't notice any particular slowdown on my mere sub-16MHz
>IIcx, barring movement of icons in the Finder and maybe a few
>things I don't do often. Boot time doesn't seem to have changed
>noticeably. I've heard this complaint about sluggishness though
>from a Classic owner. I wonder if some machines are hit more
>than others. Could it be that some optimizations were made for
>68030 or colour machines, that don't help the lesser models?
>--
>Philip Machanick

On my SE/30, things are not bad either.  Color slows things down
slightly, but that is not a problem.  B&W is always there if I need the
little extra speed.

With regard to boot time, I do notice that there is a slightly longer
delay after the "Debugger Installed" message appears in the startup
DSAT.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Configuration:
  Mac SE/30, 8MB RAM, internal (7.0 boot disk) 105MB Quantum Pro (SCSI 6),
  external 105MB Conner (SCSI 4), 3M DC-2000 Tape drive (SCSI 1), RasterOps
  264/30, Seiko CM1445C monitor.
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/29/91)

Ok, here's where system 7.0 seems slow to me:

(1) Boot from a 6.x floppy, then reboot 7.0.  System 7.0 insists on
    rebuilding the desktop.  It draws the window frame, then waits a
    generous 15-20 seconds, and then puts up the message:
	"Rebuilding Desktop"
    with a line chart and cancel button, then proceeds to rebuild the
    desktop.  By the way, "cancel" is a farce, because system 7.0 will
    attempt to rebuild the desktop over and over and over and over
    until you finally let if finish without hitting "cancel", in
    subsequent boots.

(2) After quitting an application, my machine often experiences
    a 5-10 second pause before the multifinder windows are drawn.
    During the pause the hard disk is spinning like crazy, even if
    the exitting program had no useful data to write to the disk.  In
    system 6.x, Every application closed in 1-2 seconds.  This is half
    an order of magnitude of slow-down.

(3) At boot time, the menu bar is drawn, the finder is launched,
    my superclock INIT starts, and then there is a long pause and
    finally multifinder starts up, bumping the clock leftwards by
    2 icons.  The long pause can take 4-8 seconds.

(4) Particularly irritating is that the finder loses keys when you
    quit an application.  I can no longer type apple-q, apple-q to
    quit my application and turn off the machine, because the new
    finder drops the second keypress (apple-q is the key-equivalent
    to shutdown on my machine).  I type apple-q, wait, wait, wait,
    apple-q.

My system is:
-------------
Mac II
apple pmmu
CMS-80 Q280 5" 80 megabyte disk drive
  (identical to apple HD80, 28ms access time)
5Mb DRAM
Apple 8-bit color video card
Keyboard, mouse

--

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.202601.16444@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
|> (4) Particularly irritating is that the finder loses keys when you
|>     quit an application.  I can no longer type apple-q, apple-q to
|>     quit my application and turn off the machine, because the new
|>     finder drops the second keypress (apple-q is the key-equivalent
|>     to shutdown on my machine).  I type apple-q, wait, wait, wait,
|>     apple-q.

Try this: click on the desktop and then type your shortcut
for Shutdown. Let the system tell all your apps to quit.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May25.013620.26769@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
> Yes, system 7.0 is sllllooooooow!  I'd say it's noticeably slower on a
> Mac II.  Those of you SE/Classic owners thinking of upgrading --
> consider a 25Mhz board or better yet, an 040 CPU.

I don't think there will be that many '040s for Plus/SE/Classics, but TOTAL
SYSTEMS (yes, they want in in all caps) have 25, 33, and 40MHz 030s for
all those machines, and provide Virtual with the boards, so you can break
the 4MB limit.  And yes, the newer boards support 4MB SIMMs, the older Geminis
support 4MB SIMMs with some patches to the board.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Don't take me too seriously -- I never do!  :-)                             |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |

pophal@nicmad.UUCP (Gerry Pophal) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May25.013620.26769@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
>Yes, system 7.0 is sllllooooooow!  I'd say it's noticeably slower on a
>Mac II.  Those of you SE/Classic owners thinking of upgrading --
>consider a 25Mhz board or better yet, an 040 CPU.  The most irritating
>thing is that boot time seems to have increased by 5-10 seconds at
>least.  This will not be good for people developing software.
>

>Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL
>
>--

I just called Total Systems Integration about the Gemini 030 accelerator
we bought. When I purchased it they promised system 7 compatability and
virtual memory. They are working on a system 7 compatable INIT called
Gemstart 2.0. They think they will charge me shipping to get it when
it is available in July. Connectix is working on a Gemini/System 7
compatable version of virtual that will also be available in July.

Although they promised me virtual memory when I bought the board
and they now include it (non S7 compatable) with new boards they
don't think they are responsible supplying me with it.

Some upgrade.

--
UUCP:harvard-\         att--\          | Sysop Mad Mac BBS(608)221-3841
   ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!pophal | Gerry Pophal(608)271-3333ext2091