[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Compact hard drives

grh@rhi.hi.is (Gisli Runar Hjaltason) (05/30/91)

I am looking for compact hard disk drive for my SE/30 (i.e. pocket book size
or so). Has anyone any experience with such drive? I have been looking at
MicroTech Athena 100 drive that's sold here in Iceland. They have only been
selling it since late last year, but none has been turned in for repair.

While I'm at it, do you have any preferences for mail order companies
(MacConnection? MacWarehouse? The Mac Zone? ???).

Thanks in advance...
--
Gisli Runar Hjaltason, owner | smail: Njalsgata 12     | Did you know that IM VI
Hugald, Software Development |        IS-101 Reykjavik | is larger than IM I-IV

rjacks@austlcm.sps.mot.com (rodney jacks/vlk9) (05/31/91)

>grh@rhi.hi.is (Gisli Runar Hjaltason) writes:
>I am looking for compact hard disk drive for my SE/30 (i.e. pocket book size
>or so). Has anyone any experience with such drive? I have been looking at
>MicroTech Athena 100 drive that's sold here in Iceland. They have only been
>selling it since late last year, but none has been turned in for repair.
>
>While I'm at it, do you have any preferences for mail order companies
>(MacConnection? MacWarehouse? The Mac Zone? ???).

Definitely MacConnection.  They are the BEST IN THE BUSINESS, BAR NONE.
I have ordered many things from them and NEVER had any problems with
delivery, dishonesty, or *RETURNS.  Of course this is only my opinion :).

-Rodney
**  Rodney Jacks                                         **
**  Motorola Inc, Austin, Texas                          **
**  E-mail:  rjacks@austlcm.sps.mot.com                  **
**  Time is just nature's way of keeping everything from **
**  happening all at once.                               **

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (06/02/91)

rjacks@austlcm.sps.mot.com (rodney jacks/vlk9) writes:

>>grh@rhi.hi.is (Gisli Runar Hjaltason) writes:
>>While I'm at it, do you have any preferences for mail order companies
>>(MacConnection? MacWarehouse? The Mac Zone? ???).

>Definitely MacConnection.  They are the BEST IN THE BUSINESS, BAR NONE.
>I have ordered many things from them and NEVER had any problems with
>delivery, dishonesty, or *RETURNS.  Of course this is only my opinion :).

I thought that I ought to stick up for MY favorite Mail Order House.
Between myself and a gov'ee we have ordered *thousands* of dollars of
hardware and software from the above places and I would have to say that
my money wouldn't go anywhere near MacWarehouse.  MacConnection is second
and the MacZone is first.  In over 2 years of ordering stuff, I can
honestly say that there *is* a diffrence.  But don't take my work for it,
call all the places you use and ank a question about the latest versions
and if the products are System 7 compatible.

Oh, ya...  The MacZone is *always* at least a buck lower that the others.
I know a buck isn't much, but then wouldn't you rather have the buch than
someone else?

And when looking at drives, check out the 'house brand' at Mac Zone.  They
have the *best* prices.  They are about the price of the internal drives
but in an external case.  After about a dozen of these drives and a year
of operation, we have have no problems.

     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \

P.S. These opinitated opinions are ALL MINE!