[comp.sys.mac.hardware] NuBus Expansion Chassis

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/31/91)

Okay, I've looked through my Mac magazine issues, and searched my old
scribbled notes, but I cannot find the name/address/phone of the
company that produces the Nubus expansion chassis.  Y'know, the one
that you can use with an SE/30, or IIsi?

Someone please -post- it, so that I'm not innundated with email.
Besides, I'm quite certain that other people are interested.  And if
you are going to post it, please wait until you've caught up with all
your unread articles so you don't end up being redundant.

Don't you feel stupid asking a question that you ought to be able to
answer yourself?  <sigh>

Thanks alot, folks.

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

evensen@husc9.harvard.edu (Erik Evensen) (06/01/91)

Sorry I don't have an answer for this but I'd like to extend the
query: How do these expansions perform?  Are they fast/slower/same as
say a Mac II for things like video or with an acclerator (maybe a
Radius Rocket, I hope, I hope).  Come to think of it, how compatible
are these things?  Would a 8.24GC card work? (I know, the Rocket has
it's display accleration)

Thanks in advance...

--Erik (evensen@husc9.harvard.edu)

jsih@acad3.alaska.edu (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.122922.22283@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu>,
     gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
> Okay, I've looked through my Mac magazine issues, and searched my old
> scribbled notes, but I cannot find the name/address/phone of the
> company that produces the Nubus expansion chassis.  Y'know, the one
> that you can use with an SE/30, or IIsi?
>
> Someone please -post- it, so that I'm not innundated with email.
> Besides, I'm quite certain that other people are interested.  And if
> you are going to post it, please wait until you've caught up with all
> your unread articles so you don't end up being redundant.

I have some info on card cages for the Mac from a company called Second Wave,
Inc. Which has everything from base units for the portable(~$995) to a 4 slot
SE PDS expansion(~$995) to an 8 Slot NuBus expansion for the II family(~$2295).
Their address is:

     Second Wave, Inc.
     9430 Research Blvd.
     Echelon II, Suite 260
     Austin, TX  78759-6541
     Fone: (512) 343-9661
     Fax: (512) 343-9663

The back issue you need to look into is September '90 of MacUser in their
article "In serach of the Ultimate Mac" starting on pg. 230 which also
includes lots of other neat things to attach to your Mac.

                                                -Ivan

Bitnet: JXIH@ALASKA                       Internet: JXIH@acad1.alaska.edu

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (06/02/91)

I am very curious about speeds and compatibility, like a previous poster on
this subject. I'd also like more general info about this product (i.e. what
the physical setup is like.

If anyone has any personal experience with the product, or happens to know
more about it, please let me (and probably a few other people reading this
newsgroup) know.

Jess Holle

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun1.194957.5613@gn.ecn.purdue.edu>, jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) writes:
>I am very curious about speeds and compatibility, like a previous poster on
>this subject.

Well, now that the gentlebeing from Alaska has kindly posted the address, I can
post a couple things I do know (even though I didn't remember the name and
address of the company).

The Second Wave expansion box(s) use the original NuBus, which has a speed of 10
Mhz.  Also, it is -not- compatible with NuBus Bus Master cards, so cards like
the Radius Rocket don't work in it (this info from Steve at Radius - he also
says that Second Wave is working on Bus Master compatibility...)

I plan to get a full info package from Second Wave, and I'll come back with
information afterwards...

---