[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Serial Port Expansion Cards

weiss@crowe.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/02/91)

I remember hearing about a Nu-Bus card that was supposed to add 4 serial
ports to a Mac II.  I have several questions about this:

1)  Can those ports also be configured to be AppleTalk ports?

2)  What is the maximum transmission/reception speed in bps?

3)  Would it be possible to use Liaison to handle modems on all those extra
    ports?

4)  Is there a version out for the SE/30 PDS slot?

Information on any or all of the above questions will be greatly appreciated.
TIA
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (06/02/91)

In article <2980@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU>, weiss@crowe.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>I remember hearing about a Nu-Bus card that was supposed to add 4 serial
>ports to a Mac II.  I have several questions about this:
>
>4)  Is there a version out for the SE/30 PDS slot?

The card is called the QuadraLink, made by Applied Engineering...

     Applied Engineering
     P.O. Box 5100
     Carrollton, TX  75011
     PH: 214/241-6060

The flyer I have doesn't include the tech specs (speed and whatnot) that you
requested.  However, the card is a NuBus card (not PDS) so the only way you
could use it with an SE/30 would be to buy the Second Wave Expansion Chassis.

     Second Wave, Inc.
     9430 Research Blvd.
     Echelon II, Suite 260
     Austin, TX  78759-6541
     Fone: (512) 343-9661
     Fax: (512) 343-9663

Interesting... two good expansion companies, both in Texas.  Wonder if this
is any indication about Texans in general?

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.151310.27787@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
> The card is called the QuadraLink, made by Applied Engineering...

Note that the QuadraLink has four Macintosh-type serial ports, rather than
serial ports will full modem control.
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.