[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Laserjet IIP

pacheco@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Mario Pacheco) (06/01/91)

I have an Epson EPL-7000 which is basically HP Laserjet IIP compatible,
can you hook up laserjets to Macs? What commercial products are available?
What do they cost? How about hooking up a Laserjet III to a Mac?

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May31.223322.11501@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu> pacheco@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Mario Pacheco) writes:
> I have an Epson EPL-7000 which is basically HP Laserjet IIP compatible,
> can you hook up laserjets to Macs? What commercial products are available?
> What do they cost? How about hooking up a Laserjet III to a Mac?

Sure you can, you can hook almost anything up to a make.  Making it work
is more of a trick  8-).

You will need a cable.  Try a MacPlus to ImmageWriter 1 cable, it works
for me.  You will need to tell the printer to look at the serial port
rather than the parallel port (unless you buy a parallel port card for
your Mac).

You can set the printer to 9600 baud, but look to see if you have a 19200
speed on your printer.  The comm speed is very important.  You will also
need to set your printer over-run buffer as large a possible (otherwise
it will fill up before the Mac knows to stop sending stuff).

Memory.  My EPL-6000 came with 512K, which is about 1/2 of the minimum
needed to run with the Mac.  512K lets you do light word processing,
and 3/4 page of graphics in high-res mode.

Next, you will need a driver.  There are two ways to go--postscript and
non-postscript.  The non-postscript way is the easiest and cleanest
interface.  Buy MacPrint 1.2 or later.  This gives you a chooser level
driver for the printer, and several fonts.  The fonts are clones of
Helvetica, Times, Courier, and one other that I forget.  You will probably
want to use Adobe Type manager because the free fonts are not real good.
I have problems making justified type look good, and underlines look poor
without ATM.

If you want postscript, there are two ways to go.  You can try Freedom
Of The Press.  I use the light version of FOP.  It comes with the printer
software and driver for the EPL-6000, check to see if it supports the
EPL-7000 before spending $.  FOP comes with a bunch of laser fonts, and
works with all my other laser fonts.  It is fairly speedy on my IIsi,
but nowhere near as quick as a real postscript printer.

The other PS option is to get a PS cartridge for you EPL.  I have not looked
into this option yet.

Overall, I get good results with the EPL-6000, but it is real slow--usually
about 1-3 minutes per page.  It is fine for me, but this would not work
in a production envrionment.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications, Ltd.                        ...uunet!tcnet!newave!john