[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Can I use a Stylewriter abroad

jmorris@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Joanna Morris) (05/31/91)

I am thinking about buying a Stylewriter for my SE but I will probably soon
be moving to Britain and I would like to know if a Stylewriter that I but
here in the US will work with the power supply over there i.e. 240V 50Hz.
I know that my SE will, but I get the impression that this isn't true
for most printers.  Should I just wait and buy one over there?

Joanna Morris

In article <43975@netnews.upenn.edu> jmorris@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Joanna Morris) writes:
>I am thinking about buying a Stylewriter for my SE but I will probably soon
>be moving to Britain and I would like to know if a Stylewriter that I but
>here in the US will work with the power supply over there i.e. 240V 50Hz.
>I know that my SE will, but I get the impression that this isn't true
>for most printers.  Should I just wait and buy one over there?

You would need a different power cube.  I don't know if Apple sells them
separately  (it is in the StyleWriter Accessory Kit)

Charles.E.Dubuque@dartmouth.edu (Charles E. Dubuque) (06/01/91)

Two choices:

You can buy it over there.

You can special order here the European Accessory kit, which includes a
power supply made for use in Europe.

roncalli@aurs01.UUCP (Guido Roncalli) (06/03/91)

In article <43975@netnews.upenn.edu> jmorris@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Joanna Morris) writes:
>I am thinking about buying a Stylewriter for my SE but I will probably soon
>be moving to Britain and I would like to know if a Stylewriter that I but
>here in the US will work with the power supply over there i.e. 240V 50Hz.
>I know that my SE will, but I get the impression that this isn't true
>for most printers.  Should I just wait and buy one over there?
>
>Joanna Morris
>jmorris@cattell.psych.upenn.edu

Dear Joanna, the USA power supply will not work in Europe (and I think
the U.K. is still in Europe...). You need to:

1) Buy a power supply from an Apple dealer in Europe (I don't know if
they are available in the USA, in case, they are surely cheaper).

2) Buy a voltage converter from 220/240 V. AC to 120/110 V. AC. You can
find them in stores like RadioShack, or Brendle's (second one is better
and cheaper,in my opinion). The problem is that they are adviced for
power consumption between 45 W. and 600 W.; the Stylewriter power supply
asks for 23 W. and I'm not sure what is going to happen using it for an
extended amount of time. If you're going to buy and use that power
converter, let me know how it worked, 'cause I'm interested in buyng it
too. These items were displayed in the stores for +/- 15 US $ with a
complete set of plugs adapters (not only for the U.K. but also for
continental Europe, Australia, etc.).

3) You can wait and buy the stylewriter in the U.K. Check the prices
and, unless you have a particularly good deal, the prices could be nearly
the same (and, being a foreigner, you don't have to pay sale taxes...).

Have a good stay in the old Europe! Guido.
* Guido RoncallI, RD&E     -*-  Internet Domain:  <roncalli%aurgate@mcnc.org> *
* Alcatel Network Systems  -*-  USENET Pathalias: <roncalli%aurs01.UUCP>      *
* 2912 Wake Forest Road    -*-  USENET !-Style:   <...!mcnc!aurgate!roncalli> *
* Raleigh, NC 27609        -*-  Work Phone:       +1 919 850-5375             *