[comp.sys.mac.hardware] LC VIDEO OUTPUTS

Douglas.Currens@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Douglas Currens) (05/30/91)

Can anyone tell me the pinouts and which sensing lines are grounded for each
video mode on the LC? I'd like to share SVGA monitors with my PC, and perhaps
even change emulations from time to time (Hi-res 256 color vs. Lo-res 32,000
color!). I've got a MAG Computronic monitor, if it matters, and rumor has it
from James Engineering, which makes a VGA/LC adaptor, that the LC video
output is too low to drive many monitors. Any feedback?

--
Douglas Currens - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Douglas.Currens

tag1@ra.MsState.Edu (Timothy A. Griffin) (06/03/91)

Douglas.Currens@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Douglas Currens) writes:

>Can anyone tell me the pinouts and which sensing lines are grounded for each
>video mode on the LC? I'd like to share SVGA monitors with my PC, and perhaps
>even change emulations from time to time (Hi-res 256 color vs. Lo-res 32,000
>color!). I've got a MAG Computronic monitor, if it matters, and rumor has it
>from James Engineering, which makes a VGA/LC adaptor, that the LC video
>output is too low to drive many monitors. Any feedback?

   Paul Wenker from Apple posted the following pinout:

LC Pin		VGA Pin		Signal name
------		-------		-----------
1		6		Red ground
2		1		Red video signal
5		2		Green video signal
6		7		Green ground
9		3		Blue video signal
13		8		Blue ground
15		13		/HSYNC
12		14		/VSYNC
14		10		HSYNC ground
7, 10		nc		SENSE1 & SENSE2 tied together

The LC supports 640x480x16 on a VGA monitor, or 640x480x256 if you have
512k VRAM.

NOTE: The Tech Note warns that some low impedence VGA monitors will not
work with the Mac LC.

   I built an adapter using this pinout, and it works great with my LC.  I
have used it successfully with an NEC Multisync GS2A and with a Seiko CM1440.
There have been several threads on the net recently wherein people have warned
that Wenker's caveat about low-impedance VGA monitors is definitely true.  It
seems that any "good" VGA monitor is supposed to work well.  James Engineering
does offer a ready-made adapter for about $40 (US) and the Berkeley Mac Users
Group offers a kit for about $15 (US).

--

..  Timothy A. Griffin               |      Opinions expressed here are  ..
..  MSU Computing Center             |      mine and mine alone.  Any    ..