[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Minor Hard Disk Question...

chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Michael Antolovich) (05/27/91)

Hi,
   Something I noticed recently :-  I reformatted my Quantum 105 (3rd
party so I fiddled with Apple's formatter :-).  Anyway I was just
wondering why my 105Meg HD formats to 102Meg (Max partition size) then
shows ~100,000K fress space when empty under System 6.0.7 and then
~98Meg under System 7.0 (yes it goes back to 100,000K when I go back to
6.0.7).  I more or less understand the reduction caused by formatting,
etc, but why the diff between Sys 7.0 and 6.0.7 ?  It's a pity to 'lose'
the 7 Megs I could have used to for puting System 7.0 on :-).
	Michael.

\    Michael Antolovich in sunny North Queensland (where it's bloody hot!)    /
 \                         chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au                            /
  \_________________________________________________________________________/

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.081538.9810@marlin.jcu.edu.au> chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Michael Antolovich) writes:
>Hi,
>   Something I noticed recently :-  I reformatted my Quantum 105 (3rd
>party so I fiddled with Apple's formatter :-).  Anyway I was just
>wondering why my 105Meg HD formats to 102Meg (Max partition size) then
>shows ~100,000K fress space when empty under System 6.0.7 and then
>~98Meg under System 7.0 (yes it goes back to 100,000K when I go back to
>6.0.7).  I more or less understand the reduction caused by formatting,
>etc, but why the diff between Sys 7.0 and 6.0.7 ?  It's a pity to 'lose'
>the 7 Megs I could have used to for puting System 7.0 on :-).

The Quantum 105 does indeed contain about 105 million bytes.  However,
since 1K is 1024 bytes, this translates to 102,537.5 K.  Also, since 1
Meg is 1024 K, then you really have a disk that is about 100.1 Meg.

Then there's some overhead on the disk that you never see.  The
partition map and driver takes up about 30 to 70 K.  For each volume,
there's about 10K of information.  Then, there's probably about 1 Meg
each for the volume extents and catalog trees on each volume (these can
grow if you have LOTS of files on the volume).

This leaves you with about 100,400K free as viewed by the 6.0.7 Finder or
with about 98 Megs as viewed by the 7.0 Finder (which shows large values
in Megs).

Hope this helps...

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of

weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.081538.9810@marlin.jcu.edu.au> chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Michael Antolovich) writes:
>Hi,
>   Something I noticed recently :-  I reformatted my Quantum 105 (3rd
>party so I fiddled with Apple's formatter :-).  Anyway I was just
>wondering why my 105Meg HD formats to 102Meg (Max partition size) then
>shows ~100,000K fress space when empty under System 6.0.7 and then
>~98Meg under System 7.0 (yes it goes back to 100,000K when I go back to

The second part of your question is bound to be a FAQ soon, so I'm posting
the response.  On Sys7, 1M=1024K, not 1000K.  Therefore, 98M=100,000K.

The first part is something that I have noticed a lot with Apple's Formatter.
For whatever reason, you get more disk space when you use SilverLining or
some other non-Apple driver.  I don't know why Apple won't use the entire disk.
Seems lame to me, but then again Apple has never been known for making the
BEST software, just SOME software.  That's why 3rd parties were invented :).
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/28/91)

In article <2896@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:

>The first part is something that I have noticed a lot with Apple's Formatter.
>For whatever reason, you get more disk space when you use SilverLining or
>some other non-Apple driver.  I don't know why Apple won't use the entire disk.
>Seems lame to me, but then again Apple has never been known for making the
>BEST software, just SOME software.  That's why 3rd parties were invented :).

It seems that Apple likes to leave a bit of 'scratch' space on the far
end of the drive.  There was a tip posted or published in some magazine
about a year ago that detailed how to get rid of this little 'extra'
slice of space.

Basically, you back up the whole drive.  Then boot from the System Tools
disk. Start HD Setup and select the target drive.  Go into Custom
Partitioning.  You will see the current partition and a small bit of
gray at the top (bottom?) of the partition map.  Select the main
partition and DELETE it [NOTE: This is FATAL to all data on the
disk--think for a second before you do it].
  Now add a partition that covers the WHOLE drive.  Quit HD Setup,
reboot, and start restoring.

  TWO NOTES: The above is from memory--it's been a while, so do this at
  your own risk!  I'll take no responsibility for your actions, nor your
  taste in clothes :-)
    Also, on my SE/30, I regained about 1.5 meg of space on a 40 meg
    drive.  That made the Finder report 41,085K free.

--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

kent@visix.com (Ken Turner) (05/29/91)

In article <2896@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU>, weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
|> [stuff deleted...]
|> The first part is something that I have noticed a lot with Apple's Formatter.
|> For whatever reason, you get more disk space when you use SilverLining or
|> some other non-Apple driver.  I don't know why Apple won't use the entire disk.
|> Seems lame to me, but then again Apple has never been known for making the
|> BEST software, just SOME software.  That's why 3rd parties were invented :).
|> --

Apple has multiple sources for its disk drives.  (We all know this, right?)  Each
manufacturer has a drive in the 40 MB class, for example, but the exact capacity of the
drive varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  If you go buy a new Mac with a 40 MB
drive and your friend buys a new Mac with a 40 MB drive (but different manufacturer),
but his drive turns out to actually have 43 MB, you'd probably feel kind-of gypped (sp?).
A simple solution to this is to format all drives to the same capacity.  That way,
they all look the same to the average user and no one thinks they are getting ripped off.
(Yes, this really happens.)

Ken Turner
Visix Software Inc.
kent@visix.com

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.141229.22787@mmm.serc.3m.com>, pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes...
  Basically, you back up the whole drive.  Then boot from the System Tools
  disk. Start HD Setup and select the target drive.  Go into Custom
  Partitioning.  You will see the current partition and a small bit of
  gray at the top (bottom?) of the partition map.  Select the main
  partition and DELETE it [NOTE: This is FATAL to all data on the
  disk--think for a second before you do it].
  Now add a partition that covers the WHOLE drive.  Quit HD Setup,
  reboot, and start restoring.

If one clicks Partition -> Custom -> Details, you'll see that the
grey area is titled "Apple Free".  The size is about 900 K on a
40 meg drive.

My question:  does anyone know what is the purpose of setting aside
this space?  Is there any reason why one would NOT want to create
a larger than default partition?

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

HKR@psuvm.psu.edu (Ken Rosenberry) (05/30/91)

In article <54870@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu says:

>My question:  does anyone know what is the purpose of setting aside
>this space?  Is there any reason why one would NOT want to create
>a larger than default partition?

A likely reason that Apple formats all 40M drives at 40M regardless of
the extra space on the disk drive is to accommodate their tape backup
program.  Ditto for drives of other sizes.  If a 'volume backup' is
performed, the backup can only be restored to a disk of the same
partition size.

At PSU, we depend upon volume backups to upgrade our public lab
servers from a master server.  Because we load SuitCase files from the
servers, and because of anomalies with the method SuitCase uses to
find SuitCase files, volume backup and restores are useful.

If you don't depend upon image backup software, I see no reason why
you wouldn't want to use the extra disk space.  The 'free space' on my
160M drive allowed me to create a second partition of 14M (using
Silver Lining).  And unless I'm dreaming, I didn't have to reformat
because the original 160M partition was never altered.

Ken Rosenberry                    Internet:  hkr@psuvm.psu.edu
Senior Systems Programmer         BITNET:    hkr@psuvm
Pennsylvania State University     APPLELINK: u0485

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May27.081538.9810@marlin.jcu.edu.au> chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Michael Antolovich) writes:
>Hi,
>   Something I noticed recently :-  I reformatted my Quantum 105 (3rd
>party so I fiddled with Apple's formatter :-).  Anyway I was just
>wondering why my 105Meg HD formats to 102Meg (Max partition size) then
>shows ~100,000K fress space when empty under System 6.0.7 and then
>~98Meg under System 7.0 (yes it goes back to 100,000K when I go back to
>6.0.7).  I more or less understand the reduction caused by formatting,
>etc, but why the diff between Sys 7.0 and 6.0.7 ?  It's a pity to 'lose'
>the 7 Megs I could have used to for puting System 7.0 on :-).
>	Michael.

I think they've changed the definition.  The "old" megabytes were
1,000,000 bytes.  The new ones are 1,048,576 (2^20) bytes.

A few years back IBM managed a few extra sales because their machines
sported 65K of memory, while the competition's machines only had 64K.
I think Apple made a PR mistake on this one.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   Freedom of speech:  1776-1991.  R.I.P.                              |

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/31/91)

In article <17795@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
|> I think they've changed the definition.  The "old" megabytes were
|> 1,000,000 bytes.  The new ones are 1,048,576 (2^20) bytes.
|>
|> A few years back IBM managed a few extra sales because their machines
|> sported 65K of memory, while the competition's machines only had 64K.
|> I think Apple made a PR mistake on this one.

Megabyte never meant anything but 2^20 bytes in the computing
world. If IBM were really doing this, they were indulging
in the usual IBM jargon engineering at best, misleading
advertizing at worst.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (05/31/91)

> The first part is something that I have noticed a lot with Apple's Formatter.
> For whatever reason, you get more disk space when you use SilverLining or
> some other non-Apple driver.  I don't know why Apple won't use the entire disk.
> Seems lame to me, but then again Apple has never been known for making the
> BEST software, just SOME software.  That's why 3rd parties were invented :).
> --
> \ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
> -  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -
> -                 izzydp5@oac.ucla.edu        |    Applied Science, UCLA    -
> / | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | \

If anyone cares...
The historical reason (if I remember correctly) that Apple's formatting software
does not use the full potential of the drive goes back to the introduction of the
SE's and II's.  When Apple first put 20 MEG drives into these machines the
software would format them to a little over 20Megs.  As was noted on a
is customers would have their data backed up, their drive would crash and Apple
would replace it with a new mechanism (sometimes from a different manufactuer).
These new drives couldn't always fit as much information as the original so when
the customer tried to unbackup the data, it would no longer fit!  Additionally
some backup-up software (I believe Apple's Tape Backup software is most notorius)
required the volume you backed up to be the exact same size as the volume you
restored to.

To solve these problems, Apple made the software so that it formatted all the
drives a little conservatively.

Hope this is informative!!!

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) (06/03/91)

In article <54870@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>If one clicks Partition -> Custom -> Details, you'll see that the
>grey area is titled "Apple Free".  The size is about 900 K on a
>40 meg drive.
>
>My question:  does anyone know what is the purpose of setting aside
>this space?  Is there any reason why one would NOT want to create
>a larger than default partition?
Yes, I do. There are a few reasons. In no particular order:
	- It's not often that you can find two hard disk drives with exactly
	  the same capacity because of the differing number of bad blocks.
	- To make all the disks from different sources (and thus having minor
	  differences in capacity) look the same.
	- Who out there remembers the Apple 40 Mb tape drive? The backup
	  software from Apple was unable to restore to a volume having a
	  different size than the one from which the backup was done. Blocking
	  the partition size at exactly 40Mb for all apple 40 Mb drives meant
	  that you could backup and restore between them indiscriminately.
	  Using every last sector could put you in the nasty situation of not
	  being to restore to a new drive if the old one crashed...
	- Apple sells 40Mb drives, not 40.341516... Mb drives. Any extra you
	  may find is just that, extra, but Apple will not, indeed cannot
	  garentee that. What with everyone becoming explicit on demanding
	  exactly what Apple advertises (32bit roms, et al), this becomes a
	  valid choice.

Pat

--

| Patrick Hayes                 |  EMail :  Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr  |