[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mobius monitors

jude@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Jude Poole) (05/03/90)

I am purchasing 4 full page monitors for secretaries in my department.
We have previously purchased Radius Full Page Displays.  When they work
they are fine, but they are expensive and 6 out of 8 of the ones we
got failed.  Mobius is advertising a similar product for much less and
it is supposed to even be accellerated.  I'd appreciate any comments on
it - good or bad.  Comparisons to Radius Monitors would also be
great.  Finally any pointers to reviews of them in magazines would
be useful.

Please email and I'll summarize if there is interest.

Jude Poole
jpoole@ucsd.edu
jpoole@ucsd.bitnet

captainm@tz.wimsey.bc.ca (Captain Maniac) (06/01/91)

Has anyone had any experience with the Mobius full-page display? I want to
get a larger monitor, and after reading all the reviews on the competing
makes (like Mirror, Ehmann, etc.), I have narrowed my choice to the Mobius,
mainly because of the accelerator card which is included. Apart from this
addition, is the monitor itself a good unit?

Thanks in advance,
Colin Hartridge
Vancouver, B.C.

erby@alchemy.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) (06/02/91)

captainm@tz.wimsey.bc.ca (Captain Maniac) writes:

> Has anyone had any experience with the Mobius full-page display? I want to
> get a larger monitor, and after reading all the reviews on the competing
> makes (like Mirror, Ehmann, etc.), I have narrowed my choice to the Mobius,
> mainly because of the accelerator card which is included. Apart from this
> addition, is the monitor itself a good unit?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Colin Hartridge
> Vancouver, B.C.

Colin,

There has been a lot of discussion on this net concerning the Mobius FPD
and 030.  I also own one and I think that it is generally recognized as
offering an incredible amount of performance at an excellent price.

I find the display to be very crisp and sharp with barely any distortion.
 The accelerator and math coprocessor option has not caused me any
problems.  I have an occasional problem formatting new floppies (they
fail to verify, but eventually will verify) and I suspect this may be a
combination of a borderline floppy coupled with the increased demand the
030 has put on my power supply...but it is infrequent and not considered
to be a major problem.

I'm very happy with my decision to purchase the Mobius.  I think they
have good support too.

Mike

E-Mail: erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb)
USPS  : Michael R. Erb
        PO Box 6770
        Ithaca, NY  14851-6770
Phone : (607) 277-4326

dai@mrco.carleton.ca (Naci Dai) (06/03/91)

This message is empty.

paullu@cs.UAlberta.CA (Paul Lu) (06/03/91)

In article <1X5w32w162w@alchemy.ithaca.ny.us> erby@alchemy.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) writes:
>There has been a lot of discussion on this net concerning the Mobius FPD
>and 030.  I also own one and I think that it is generally recognized as
>offering an incredible amount of performance at an excellent price.

But, does anyone have experience with their 2-page display, with '030
acceleration?  How about their virtual memory option (i.e., the '030
is a fully-functional one, instead of the EC model which has
no/has disabled the MMU--thus no VM under Sys 7 or other software)?

>I'm very happy with my decision to purchase the Mobius.  I think they
>have good support too.
>
>Mike

>E-Mail: erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb)

Some other questions (which Mobius did not answer when I wrote to them;
nice pamphlet though):

1.  What about my onboard Mac SE memory?  I know that the '030 accelerator
    has slots for SIMM memory, but are they extensions of the SE's memory
    or replacements?  What if I already cut the registers needed to
    install my 2.5 Megs of SE memory?

2.  How much is shipping and handling, typically?

Thanks in advance,

	...Paul Lu

valsta@metla.fi (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.164903.22601@cs.UAlberta.CA>, paullu@cs.UAlberta.CA (Paul Lu) writes:

> Some other questions (which Mobius did not answer when I wrote to them;
> nice pamphlet though):
>
> 1.  What about my onboard Mac SE memory?  I know that the '030 accelerator
>     has slots for SIMM memory, but are they extensions of the SE's memory
>     or replacements?  What if I already cut the registers needed to
>     install my 2.5 Megs of SE memory?

I don't have one but based on the information I've got I wouldn't expect
full performance without RAM moved (or added) onto the accelerator board.
The RAM on your motherboard can be configured as RAM disk and I believe that you
must leave at least 512k on the motherboard. It's probably wise to buy, say,
4 MB of new RAM with the card. People having the card in use might comment on
this.

> 2.  How much is shipping and handling, typically?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> 	...Paul Lu

Lauri Valsta
valsta@cc.helsinki.fi

erby@alchemy.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) (06/05/91)

> But, does anyone have experience with their 2-page display, with '030
> acceleration?  How about their virtual memory option (i.e., the '030
> is a fully-functional one, instead of the EC model which has
> no/has disabled the MMU--thus no VM under Sys 7 or other software)?

I believe that a company called Connectix sells software that let's you
use virtual memory with the Mobius 030. I was also told that there is a
chance that the 030 supplied by Mobius may have a functional PMMU in it,
but that it has not been tested and is why the boards are less expensive.
Don't know how valid that is however.

> 1.  What about my onboard Mac SE memory?  I know that the '030 accelerator
>     has slots for SIMM memory, but are they extensions of the SE's memory
>     or replacements?  What if I already cut the registers needed to
>     install my 2.5 Megs of SE memory?

Assuming you cut your resistor cleanly and neatly, it should be no
problem to re-solder it.  That is what I had to do and it was easy to
accomplish.  As someone else already said, it is best to install 4 megs
of RAM onto the 030.  Put the 256k simms back on the SE board and this
gives you a 1 meg RAM disk.  In fact any more RAM on the SE board can
ONLY be used as RAM disk at this point in time.  In other words,
don't waste your money on more than 4-1meg simms.

> 2.  How much is shipping and handling, typically?

I paid $1273 for the FPD/030 with math coprocessor.  That price includes
a shipping/handling charge of $29.  I'm in central New York state and the
monitor was shipped from California.