[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Sticky Sony Internal HD...

dougt@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Douglas Terrebonne) (06/04/91)

Hi, I am a proud new owner of a Mac IIci... I really like it except for
one problem I've encountered... When I leave the machine off for a while
(a day or so - it varies) and turn it on again, the internal (Sony 40M) HD
doesn't spin up... My first internal drive (also a Sony) did this and I thought
replacing it would fix it, but no, the second one does it too...
I can get it to speed
up again if I take the cover off and "shake" the drive but this is a pain
in the ass... I guess one solution to this problem would be to just leave the
computer on all the time but I was hoping someone out there might have a
better idea...

   Thanx for any help...

     Doug

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Douglas Terrebonne, N6VMI          dougt@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
CI$: 74106,311                     Cogswell Polytechnical College

krweiss@ucdavis.edu (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.085004.17398@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> dougt@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
(Douglas Terrebonne) writes:
>Hi, I am a proud new owner of a Mac IIci... I really like it except for
>one problem I've encountered... When I leave the machine off for a while
>(a day or so - it varies) and turn it on again, the internal (Sony 40M) HD
>doesn't spin up... My first internal drive (also a Sony) did this and I
thought
>replacing it would fix it, but no, the second one does it too...
>I can get it to speed
>up again if I take the cover off and "shake" the drive but this is a pain
>in the ass... I guess one solution to this problem would be to just leave the
>computer on all the time but I was hoping someone out there might have a
>better idea...

We have had the same problem with a number of the Sony drives. A sharp smack on
the computer's case will generally get things moving again. This is, of course,
not a good solution over the long haul. If you're still under warranty, make
the vendor give you yet another new drive.

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu