[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MacII => MacIIfx

robinson@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (John Robinson) (05/22/91)

I an thinking about upgrading my stock MacII and have a few questions.
What does the superdrive upgrade entail?  Does the upgrade to a MacIIfx
include the superdrive? In other words, do I have to buy anything more than
the IIfx logic board upgrade to get a hd drive?

tv0c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Edward Van Lenten) (05/23/91)

    The FX logic board has the ROMs to give you the FDHD, but your
drives will still be 800K unless you buy the new drives themselves also.

TVL

In article <1534@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> robinson@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (John Robinson) writes:
>I an thinking about upgrading my stock MacII and have a few questions.
>What does the superdrive upgrade entail?  Does the upgrade to a MacIIfx
>include the superdrive? In other words, do I have to buy anything more than
>the IIfx logic board upgrade to get a hd drive?

Yes: The drive itself.

bob@radius.com (bob lashley) (05/29/91)

Don't forget the SWIM chip.  I think this still comes with the drive upgrade,
as does a set of probably useless ROMs to permit using it.  (SWIM is the disk
controller chip)

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (05/29/91)

In article <1462@radius.com> bob@radius.com (bob lashley) writes:
+Don't forget the SWIM chip.  I think this still comes with the drive upgrade,
+as does a set of probably useless ROMs to permit using it.  (SWIM is the disk
+controller chip)

From earlier posts, I had gathered that the HDFD SWIM chip was included as
part of the motherboard upgrade.  What you would need, then, instead of the
drive "upgrade" would be just a raw HDFD drive (no SWIM chip, no ROMs).

--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.162300.4159@wlbr.imsd.contel.com> fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) writes:
}In article <1462@radius.com> bob@radius.com (bob lashley) writes:
}+Don't forget the SWIM chip.  I think this still comes with the drive upgrade,
}+as does a set of probably useless ROMs to permit using it.  (SWIM is the disk
}+controller chip)
}
}From earlier posts, I had gathered that the HDFD SWIM chip was included as
}part of the motherboard upgrade.  What you would need, then, instead of the
}drive "upgrade" would be just a raw HDFD drive (no SWIM chip, no ROMs).
}

That's true, the IIfx motherboard requires NO mods to use the FDHD drives.

However, I think that to buy the FDHD's, you buy the FDHD Kit, which includes
the drive and the (worthless for a IIfx) ROMs and SWIM chip. Or maybe it's
the other way around that if you want just the ROMs and SWIM chip, you have
to buy the drive too...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.4
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as a man
 and then compare the relative brain size, we know find that the penguin's
 brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it WAS!"

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (05/30/91)

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:

>That's true, the IIfx motherboard requires NO mods to use the FDHD drives.
>
>However, I think that to buy the FDHD's, you buy the FDHD Kit, which includes
>the drive and the (worthless for a IIfx) ROMs and SWIM chip. Or maybe it's
>the other way around that if you want just the ROMs and SWIM chip, you have
>to buy the drive too...

Nope.  Here's the scoop, direct from Apple's price list.  If you are buying a
IIfx upgrade (we won't debate here the relative merits of doing that, or lack
thereof, as opposed to OTHER alternatives... :-), and you have a Mac II,
then all you do is purchase the upgrade and a bare FDHD internal drive.
Remember those?  Yes, Apple sells bare FDHD drives, for folks with Mac IIx's
and IIfx's who want to have two internal FDHD drives.

If you have a Mac II and want to have an FDHD drive, you purchase the FDHD
upgrade kit, which consists of the bare drive, a SWIM chip, and Mac IIx ROMs.

So, the moral is, if you're going to purchase a IIfx upgrade, don't purchase
the FDHD upgrade for your Mac II since you're wasting money on the new SWIM
chip and the IIx ROMs, both of which will disappear with your old Mac II
motherboard when you upgrade.  Just buy the IIfx upgrade and a bare FDHD drive.

Does this all make sense now?

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (05/31/91)

In article <1462@radius.com>, bob@radius.com (bob lashley) writes:
> Don't forget the SWIM chip.  I think this still comes with the drive upgrade,
> as does a set of probably useless ROMs to permit using it.  (SWIM is the disk
> controller chip)

The SWIM chip and appropriate ROMs _are_ all included in the IIfx logic
board upgrade.

These chips do _not_ come with the FDHD upgrade.  If you have a Mac II and want
to upgrade to an FDHD, you have to buy the FDHD _and_ the ROM upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.192918.1761@eng.umd.edu> tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) writes:
#
#These chips do _not_ come with the FDHD upgrade.  If you have a Mac II and want
#to upgrade to an FDHD, you have to buy the FDHD _and_ the ROM upgrade.
#

Would it be possible to not even have to get the FDHD, and just go with the
800k version that comes with the II ?  From my understanding, you can retain
your 800k when you do the FDHD upgrade on the II...

--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)

In article <1991May30.192918.1761@eng.umd.edu> tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) writes:

>These chips do _not_ come with the FDHD upgrade.  If you have a Mac II and want
>to upgrade to an FDHD, you have to buy the FDHD _and_ the ROM upgrade.

The FDHD and ROM Upgrade are all one package on the price list I have.  The
FDHD is sold separately, but the ROM upgrade is not.

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (06/05/91)

In article <1991May31.192128.16390@eng.umd.edu>, russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
> In article <1991May30.192918.1761@eng.umd.edu> tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) writes:
>
> >These chips do _not_ come with the FDHD upgrade.  If you have a Mac II and want
> >to upgrade to an FDHD, you have to buy the FDHD _and_ the ROM upgrade.
>
> The FDHD and ROM Upgrade are all one package on the price list I have.  The
> FDHD is sold separately, but the ROM upgrade is not.
>
> --
> Matthew T. Russotto	russotto@eng.umd.edu	russotto@wam.umd.edu
>      .sig under construction, like the rest of this campus.

The campus price lists do not include _all_ Apple products which are available.
They ROM upgrades are available separatly from _most_ authorized Apple dealers.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu