[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Laserjet upgrading?

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) (06/04/91)

Hello!

Here is a technical question: wt is necessary to upgrade a HP
Laserjet series II for use with the Mac?  Preferably, we involve the
PostScript function.  Any suggestions?  Is it even feasible? :-)

Thanks for all replies.  If I get enough, I'll post a summary.
-rich
Richard Sucgang : Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
Columbia University (sucgang@cuhhca.hhmi.columbia.edu;
de slime god         rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu)

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.063923.9548@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) writes:
> Here is a technical question: wt is necessary to upgrade a HP
> Laserjet series II for use with the Mac?  Preferably, we involve the
> PostScript function.  Any suggestions?  Is it even feasible? :-)

I use an Epson EPL-6000 emulating a LaserJet on my Mac IIsi.  You need
a mac plus to immagewriter I cable, and a software driver.  I use MacPrint
(version 1.2 or above) for speed, and Freedom Of The Press Light when I
want to play with PostScript.

Both are somewhat slow, but both do work.  You will need at least 1 meg
of memory in your printer to print a full screen of graphics.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications, Ltd.                        ...uunet!tcnet!newave!john

jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.063923.9548@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) writes:
> Hello!
>
> Here is a technical question: wt is necessary to upgrade a HP
> Laserjet series II for use with the Mac?  Preferably, we involve the
> PostScript function.  Any suggestions?  Is it even feasible? :-)

You will need the Postscript cartridge # 33439P ABA, the Appletalk I/O card
#33417A, and at least 2 Meg memory expansion, which can be had for around
$100 from Chip Merchant or some other 3rd party vendor.

--
 == Marvin Jones === DSC Corp./Optilink Access Products === Petaluma, CA ====
 == uucp: {uunet, tekbspa, pyramid}!optilink!jones ==== Ph. 707.792.7206 ====