[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Silverlining bombs with Rodime S20+

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (06/05/91)

My copy of Silverlining 5.28 arrived yesterday, so I thought I'd try it out
on a slow 20Meg Rodime here at work since my SE/30 is away for repair.

It runs now, but getting it going was total bombsville. All the read/write
tests would run fine, but Silverlining would freeze (mouse pointer and all)
when trying to install the drivers. It would freeze also when attempting to
format.

I've no idea how I got it working in the end; I ran Apple HD Setup on the
disk (OK, so the Rodime isn't an Apple disk but I thought I'd try it to
get the disk as clean as possible) - I think that might have cleared the
disk sufficiently for Silverlining not to get confused.

Oh: two Macs used for this, a Plus and an SE/30 with the Rodime plugged in
the back. Silverlining was giving me bus errors on the latter.

So: has anybody else had Silverlining bomb while installing drivers into a
disk of any kind? Just curious how common this problem is... (I'll be trying
it on the Quantum 40Meg internal on my SE/30 when I get it back...)

	Nick.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Natty Dredmon ) (06/06/91)

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>So: has anybody else had Silverlining bomb while installing drivers into a
>disk of any kind?

(Applies to external Quantum 80Pro, from LaCie)
I've had some horrid surprises with Silverlining 5.2, System 6.0.5, and
my IIci- turns out it chokes massively when any sort of cache is running.
In order to get it working, I disabled The Daystar cache card and shut off my
third party Disk Cache, 'Turbo Cache', from PLI. Perhaps the Rodime
drive has some sort of caching hardware on it that is analagous to this.

dplatt@ntg.com (Dave Platt) (06/07/91)

In article <12035@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:

>My copy of Silverlining 5.28 arrived yesterday, so I thought I'd try it out
>on a slow 20Meg Rodime here at work since my SE/30 is away for repair.
>
>It runs now, but getting it going was total bombsville. All the read/write
>tests would run fine, but Silverlining would freeze (mouse pointer and all)
>when trying to install the drivers. It would freeze also when attempting to
>format.

I'd advise against using SilverLining, or _any_ general-purpose
third-party disk driver package, with Rodime disks... especially the
older ones.  Rodime's implementation of SCSI is rather quirky... their
older drives in particular have a non-standard implementation of blind
I/O transfers.  Drivers such as SilverLining, which assume a fairly
"vanilla" SCSI interface, will tend to time out or hang the machine
during SCSI-bus transfers to and from the Rodime disk.

Stick with Rodime's own driver/installer... it's less flexible than
SilverLining, but at least it understands the quirks of the disk and
won't lock up your machine.

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
              Domain: dplatt@ntg.com      UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt