[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Need backup options for 80M hard drive

richard wyckoff <rwyckoff@copper.ucs.indiana.edu> (06/05/91)

rrk@yoda.byu.edu writes
[...]

>have a IIcx with an internal 80M hard drive. As I have nearly filled this
>drive up, I am approaching 100 floppies for a backup. This gets quite tedious

I also have an 80Mb drive.
I use 1.44Mb floppies and fastback2.  I end up with more like 40 floppies
for a full backup.
I realize you were expecting a hardware solution, but consider useing
a compression util.  Also, move most of your static stuff (the files you
haven't changed in 10 or 12 months) to a separate area, make a one-time
backup of it, and leave it alone.  What you're left with is a much more
manageable area which needs more frequent backups.  Most backup utils have
compression options, and, after an initial "full" backup, allow you to do
"incremental" backups: only the files changed since the previous backup are
bothered with.  In this case, it's so not important that you move the stable
stuff to "don't-save-new-stuff-in-me" area.

                 Rich
(rwyckoff@copper.ucs.indiana.edu)

rrk@yoda.byu.edu (06/05/91)

Hi all. I fear this may be a "most frequently asked question," but I scanned
the current articles and didn't find any postings answering this. I
have a IIcx with an internal 80M hard drive. As I have nearly filled this
drive up, I am approaching 100 floppies for a backup. This gets quite tedious
when making a complete new backup prior to updating to System 7 ;-) My
question is thus: What are y'alls recommendations for a backup medium for
80M or so? I have one recommendation for SyQuest's SQ555 removeable disk.
What other devices have you used on the Mac's, and how has your experience
been with them?

Please send E-mail to reduce the net-ire. I will post a summary if requested.
Thank you all for your help!

Robin "Lessa" Kinzy                     rrk@yoda.byu.edu
CAEDM Systems Manager                   rrk@spock.byu.edu
Brigham Young University
270 Clyde Building
Provo, UT  84602
(801) 378-4267

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.014055.28473@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, rwyckoff@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (richard wyckoff) writes:
|> I also have an 80Mb drive.
|> I use 1.44Mb floppies and fastback2.  I end up with more like 40 floppies
|> for a full backup.
|> I realize you were expecting a hardware solution, but consider useing
|> a compression util.  Also, move most of your static stuff (the files you
|> haven't changed in 10 or 12 months) to a separate area, make a one-time
|> backup of it, and leave it alone.  What you're left with is a much more
|> manageable area which needs more frequent backups.  Most backup utils have
|> compression options, and, after an initial "full" backup, allow you to do
|> "incremental" backups: only the files changed since the previous backup are
|> bothered with.  In this case, it's so not important that you move the stable
|> stuff to "don't-save-new-stuff-in-me" area.

I went with this type of solution for a while, but the first time I
had to rebuild my filesystem after a hard disk crash, I decided I
didn't like this method.  I spent a week getting the system back into
the shape it was in before the crash.

For about a year, I used floppies and FastBack II.  I did a full backup
every month and did incrementals every day or two, depending upon how
much I did with the machine.  It was still a pain to schedule a couple
of hours of time to pull and push floppies every couple of minutes.

Last year, I bought an APS SyQuest drive and RetroSpect.  I have a little
over 100MB of disk space used on my main drive.  Every Sunday morning,
I do a full backup while I work on the yard and garden.  All I have to
do is go and change cartridges 3 times and its all done for me.  Each
night, I do an automatic incremental at around 3:00am.

--
...David Elliott
...dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce