[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Fan noise

dplatt@ntg.com (Dave Platt) (06/08/91)

In article <ALANR.91May26153156@media-lab.media-lab.media.mit.edu> alanr@media-lab.media-lab.media.mit.edu (Alan Ruttenberg) writes:

>This is probably not a generally preferred solution, but it works for me...
>
>I am a bit of a fanatic about noise, so I have wrestled with this for
>some time. My choice has been to run external hard disks, and
>completely disconnect the fan, leaving the mac on it's side, with the
>back propped open at about a 20 degree angle.

This is one of those fixes that should be in the "Don't try this at
home, kids."  Literally.  Leaving the lid open on the II defeats the
EMI/RFI shielding measures... it could allow the Mac to radiate enough
RFI from its digital circuitry to interfere with radios and televisions
in the area.  It almost certainly voids the FCC Class B (residential
area) status of the machine.  It might even violate Class A standards
(business use), although I tend to doubt it... those standards are much
looser.

If it does interfere with a neighbor's radio or television, the neighbor
would be entirely within their rights to insist that _you_ fix the
problem (i.e. put the cover back on).

>I have used this setup with a macII with fx upgrade, rasterops 224 24
>bit color card and ethernet card for some time, without trouble. You
>may need to adjust the opening if the mac to get enough circulation -
>the mac will shut off it the power supply gets too hot.

If you're running your machine hot enough that this happens... even
occasionally... then you may be shortening the lifetime of your hardware
by a significant amount.  Depending on the overtemperature-shutdown as a
way to warn you of insufficient cooling is living life a bit too close
to the edge for comfort.  As they say, "Death is nature's way of telling
you to slow down a bit." ;-}

>Alternately, you could purchase a fan regulator - sorry can't remember
>the brand now...

Nova.  Soft Solutions sells 'em.

>                This work by attaching a thermostat to the internal
>drive and regulating the fan speed to give just enough cooling for the
>situation (macc II fan was designed conservatively - assumption all
>slots filled). A pretty simple installation which has worked for
>several colleagues. Cost ~$75.

And well worth it... it makes a _big_ difference.

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
              Domain: dplatt@ntg.com      UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt

berger@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Mike Berger) (06/08/91)

alanr@media-lab.media-lab.media.mit.edu (Alan Ruttenberg) writes:
>Alternately, you could purchase a fan regulator - sorry can't remember
>the brand now... This work by attaching a thermostat to the internal
>drive and regulating the fan speed to give just enough cooling for the
>situation (macc II fan was designed conservatively - assumption all
>slots filled). A pretty simple installation which has worked for
>several colleagues. Cost ~$75.
*----
Wouldn't it be cheaper (and more reliable) to replace the fan?
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois