[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Toshiba CD-Rom drivers for system 7

news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) (06/07/91)

Hi,

I'm looking for information about drivers for the Toshiba CD-Rom for use
under system 7. We have a version for 6.0x, however, it's painful having to run
system 6.0x to use the CD-rom.

If anybody has any info, or knows where to ftp the appropriate drivers, I would
really appreciate it.

Cheers
Al
A.K.Burton@massey.ac.nz
Macintosh Consultant
Massey University
New Zealand.

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun7.015110.28633@massey.ac.nz> news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) writes:
>I'm looking for information about drivers for the Toshiba CD-Rom for use
>under system 7. We have a version for 6.0x, however, it's painful having to run
>system 6.0x to use the CD-rom.

I've used my driver that I received with my CD Technology Toshiba drive
under 7.0 with no problem.  However, this wasn't extensive testing.
I also put the 7.0 compatible CD-ROM software I FTPd from ftp.apple.com
into my system folder along with the driver.  I could access both CD-ROMs
and play audio CDs.
--
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000

sears@cello.hpl.hp.com (Bart Sears) (06/08/91)

If you bought a Toshiba CD-ROM drive from a supplier which sells into
the Macintosh market, they should include the Mac CD-ROM driver and
should be able to get you the updated version which is compatable with
System 7.0 sometime in the near future.  If you bought a Toshiba CD-ROM
drive from a non-macintosh supplier (ie for a PC or a Unix box) you will
need to get a driver.  So far as I know, there are no freeware/shareware
drivers for the Toshiba drive.  The driver which is distributed by
Toshiba (and many other people who OEM Toshiba drives) was written by
Optical Media International of Los Gatos.  You can buy a copy of the
driver from them for about $40.  I have been told, but have not checked,
that you can buy the same driver from Toshiba for about $20.  When I
called Optical Media International a couple of weeks ago, they said that
they were working on a 7.0 compatible driver and thought that it would
be ready within a month.  They suggested that unless I was in a hurry, I
should wait and get the 7.0 compatable driver.  Optical Media
International is at 800-DISC-OMI (408-376-3511 for those of you outside
of the US).  I don't have the phone number for Toshiba, but I got mail
saying that they were located in Irvine, California (area code 714) and
that you need to ask for Tech Support.  Also, if the driver disk doesn't
include the "High Sierra", "ISO 9660", "Audio CD", and "Foreign file"
"utilities" you can ftp these (and the driver for Apple's Sony CD-ROM
player (note that the Sony driver doesn't work with a toshiba drive))
directly from apple.

						Bart Sears
						sears@hplabs.hpl.hp.com