[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ThirdWave's DAT drive over a net

6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White) (06/04/91)

My group is thinking about buying DAT drive from Third Wave Computing.
A couple of questions have arisen.

1.  Does anyone have one of these things?  And if anyone does, how is it?

2.  I'm not sure if it will do what we want.  I know it will back up over a
local talk network, but we were wanting to have it backup over the internet.
We have a few machines in othe buildings that have an ethernet connection to
the internet.  Does anyone know if the DAT drive will backup these remote
macs?  Will Retrospect do this?  (All of the computers are macs, no suns
(sniff), no PCs, and no VAXs.)

Thank you in advance,

Jason S. White

--
Jason S. White         |  6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |  McIntosh Jr.
Nuclear Engineering    |  jsw@sbphy.ucsb.edu        |  The power

mlbarrow@mit.edu (Michael Barrow) (06/08/91)

Retrospect will only work using AppleTalk or EtherTalk protocol. If you have a
FastPath or GatorBox and you are using tunneling to get the AppleTalk packets
to the remote Macs, then it will work. Otherwise, you're SOL with RetroSpect
as it does not speak TCP/IP.

-- mlb