[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Can Apple HD SC Setup be hacked?

krweiss@ucdavis.edu (06/11/91)

In article <0D010010.serk0f@brain.UUCP> chuck@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton)
writes:

>In article <13207@aggie.ucdavis.edu>, krweiss@ucdavis.edu writes:
>> So, is there any way to hack Apple HD SC Setup to make it recognize the
Quantum
>> 105 and place the new virtual memory compatible drivers on my third party
disk?

>I'm not sure if this technique still works with the new HD Setup program,
>but the following USED to work. First, you have to find out the complete
device
>ID using something like SCSI Tools. The ID will look something like:
>
>Quantuum P105S 910-10-99X
>
>There are several strings in the HD Setup program that represent the "legal"
>drives that the program will attempt to format. Using your favorite disk or
>resource editor, substitute your ID for one of the Apple-supplied ones that
>most closely matches the size of your drive.
>
>I was able to do this about 2 years ago to get HD Setup to format a 3rd party
>80 meg Quantuum. I can't promise that the technique still works. You might
>want to consider getting a copy of SilverLining...

>Chuck Shotton                 Internet:   cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu

First, thanks to all that replied to my original post. I tried the hacks
suggested, got HD SC Setup to recognize my drive, but when I clicked the
Initialize button HD SC Setup crashed with a "Bus Error."

Now, here's an update on the situation, and boy is it weird...

I have a Mac IIci with a Storage Dimensions Quantum 105 internal hard disk.
After reformatting the disk with the latest driver software from Storage
Dimensions, I installed System 7.0 and tried to switch on virtual memory. The
system hung on startup, after loading all extensions, but before displaying the
desktop.

I concluded that the problem must be with the Storage Dimensions formatting
software (version 3.0.2). To prove it, I reformatted the drive and immediately
installed System 7.0 from a disk set that I had used successfully on another
Mac IIci. Sure enough, the system still hung in the exact same way.

Just to be extra sure, I pulled the drive out of my IIci at home and brought it
in to work. I installed the drive in my IIci at the office. It worked
perfectly! The problem is not with the drivers.

I can only think of three things to test:

1) I have a third party keyboard and a Summagraphics table on the ADB line on
the Mac at home. I'll disconnect the bit pad and try again with an official
Apple keyboard. Still, it's hard to imagine that an ADB device could interfere
with virtual memory.

2) I will pull the RAM from bank B and try again. If it still fails I'll
replace the RAM in bank A with the SIMMs I pulled from bank B. Again, it's hard
to believe that this is the problem. If I have bad RAM, it should fail the RAM
check on startup.

3) The last, and IMHO most likely, possibility is a bad component on the logic
board, like a fried PMMU in the CPU chip. I can't think of a good way to test
this, except by elimination. I can bring my official Apple internal hard disk
home from work and install it in the IIci at home. If that machine still fails,
with 100% six-color components and peripherals, it's a strong indication that
the problem is on the logic board (as I will have swapped everything else). Of
course, the IIci is off warranty, and a logic board replacement will probably
cost more than just loading it with 32MB of real RAM and forgetting about
virtual memory.

So, net.gurus, any ideas? Can I test the PMMU directly? Is Apple going to offer
me a free logic board replacement and a heartfelt apology for my troubles?

One last note: technical support at Storage Dimensions has been outstanding.
They answer the phone, return calls, and offer useful suggestions.

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu