[comp.sys.mac.hardware] LC expansion

dbreiden@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Danny Breidenbach) (06/08/91)

I've heard that it will be -- or is -- possible to get a card for the LC
that has both the 68882(?) coprocessor and PMMU  on it.

Any clues as to where to look -- what to look for -- and estimated
price?  Thanks much.

--Danny

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (cantva) (06/09/91)

From article <13335@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, by dbreiden@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Danny Breidenbach):
> I've heard that it will be -- or is -- possible to get a card for the LC
> that has both the 68882(?) coprocessor and PMMU  on it.

> Any clues as to where to look -- what to look for -- and estimated
> price?  Thanks much.

me too! :-)

Raymond.

--
Raymond Wilson.	email:	raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
		snail:	c/- Computer Science Department,

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun9.104251.995@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz writes:
>From article <13335@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, by dbreiden@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Danny Breidenbach):
>> I've heard that it will be -- or is -- possible to get a card for the LC
>> that has both the 68882(?) coprocessor and PMMU  on it.
>
>> Any clues as to where to look -- what to look for -- and estimated
>> price?  Thanks much.
>
>me too! :-)

If you read in the July 1991 Macworld, you will find that Fusion Data
Systems, Total Systems, Mac Products, Novy Systems, and System Technology
all make upgrade boards for the LC.  At the time the article was written, no
companies made PMMU upgrades for the LC, but perhaps they do now.  Call
these places and find out if they have such products or if they are planning
on making them.  Not exactly an answer, but a good place to get started.

Cheers,

Alan

P.S.  If you don't have access to Macworld, or any of the other magazines
(or you do, and you're just lazy :-), here are the phone #'s:

Fusion Data Systems		512 338 5326
Total Systems			800 874 2288
Mac Products			800 622 3475
Novy Systems			904 427 2358
System Technology		904 428 0411
  Alan R Fry                     |    You know what I hate?
  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |    Rhetorical questions

6500erik@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Erik Adams) (06/11/91)

As has been pointed out in this chain, there are upgrade boards
currently available that give the LC a math co-processor, as
well as '040 accelerators for the LC.  However, I believe I
have read somewhere that a simple plug-it-in PMMU will not
be possible on the LC, because of the way it was built.
I'm not a technician, and I don't remember all of the details,
but there was something like the PMMU has to sit between the
CPU and the memory, which is not possible when plugging things
into a processor-direct clot.

Er, slot, that is.

Like I said, I'm not a technician, so I could be wrong on this.
It wouldn't be the first time :-)

Erik
6500erik@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu or 6500erik@ucsbuxa.BITNET
<but only until June 15th, because...>