[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 2meg SIMMs in an SE/30?

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (06/05/91)

Will the SE/30 or IIcx recognize 2 MB SIMMs?  From 5 meg, it seems
that one has the option of going to 20 with 4 x 4 MB, or 8 with
4 x 1 MB.  Too much, or not enough!    Twelve seems about right;
32-bit brouhaha notwithstanding, it seems a reasonable amount for a
16 MHz '030.  Is this possible?

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (06/05/91)

In article <55485@nigel.ee.udel.edu:> johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes:
:>Will the SE/30 or IIcx recognize 2 MB SIMMs?  From 5 meg, it seems
:>that one has the option of going to 20 with 4 x 4 MB, or 8 with
:>4 x 1 MB.  Too much, or not enough!    Twelve seems about right;
:>32-bit brouhaha notwithstanding, it seems a reasonable amount for a
:>16 MHz '030.  Is this possible?
:>
:>-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

According to the latest (July) MacWorld and MacUser, only the IIsi and the
LC can address 2 meg simms.  Must have something to do with the ROMs.

Cheers,

Alan
  Alan R Fry                     |    You know what I hate?
  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |    Rhetorical questions

ccjapu@uta.fi (Jarmo Puntanen) (06/07/91)

In article <55485@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes:
>Will the SE/30 or IIcx recognize 2 MB SIMMs?  From 5 meg, it seems
>that one has the option of going to 20 with 4 x 4 MB, or 8 with
>4 x 1 MB.
I thought the 24-bit ROMs in SE/30 limit you at 17Mb when using virtual
memory, 8 without the virtual memory manager. IICx's 32-bit ROMs allow
larger virtual memory pool, but the 8 Mb physical limit persists.

Jarmo Puntanen/Tampere University Computer Centre, Tampere Finland.

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (06/08/91)

In article <2860@kielo.uta.fi>, ccjapu@uta.fi (Jarmo Puntanen) writes...
>In article <55485@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes:
>>Will the SE/30 or IIcx recognize 2 MB SIMMs?  From 5 meg, it seems
>>that one has the option of going to 20 with 4 x 4 MB, or 8 with
>>4 x 1 MB.
>I thought the 24-bit ROMs in SE/30 limit you at 17Mb when using virtual
>memory, 8 without the virtual memory manager. IICx's 32-bit ROMs allow
>larger virtual memory pool, but the 8 Mb physical limit persists.

Some of the details may be inaccurate (SE/30 is limited to 14 virtual,
and the IIcx has a 24-bit rom) but an interesting point was made about
the "physical limit" of 8-meg.

My understanding is that there IS a good reason for using >8 meg physical
in a 24-bit-ROM Mac.  With VM turned on, paging (swapping physical
for disk-mapped RAM) should occur only when the limits of physical RAM
are exceeded.  Thus VM can be thought of as a way to take advantage
of more physical ram, and not only as a trick to get extra address
space by mapping the RAM to the hard-disk.  True or false?
Does the SE/30 have to actually move the data into the first 8 megs
before it can be addressed by the CPU?

What would be nice is a virtual memory implementation that ropes off
the extra disk space only if available physical RAM is less than
the requested virtual RAM.  That would make 16meg SE/30's reasonable,
and I am sure that somebody could think of a way to use the 16-14=2megs
leftover as a RAM disk.  The DOS world is full of hacks like that.

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

Ian_Pennington@mindlink.bc.ca (Ian Pennington) (06/12/91)

bill.... if you can get the simms, it should work. Here's the problem:
the mac system software (up to 6.07) only recognized 8 megs of ram
If you had a nubus machine (ie: mac II or higher), there is software
available called "Maxima" that allows the system to fake one additional
meg per empty nubus slot.

Anyway, the se30 has 8 simm slots, you could put 8 1-meggers into it

regards...... Ian Pennington